Charge extra for double mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnGuy35, Jun 24, 2010.

1. LawnGuy35

LawnGuy35 LawnSite Member

One of the lawns I mow seems to grow much, much faster than any other lawn I mow. Yesterday I showed up and, sure enough, it had grown quite a bit over the last week (I should also mention we've had rain almost every day during that time). Anyways, even on my highest setting, one mow wasn't enough. There were clumps and blades of grass sticking up in various places. So, I knocked it down a setting and mowed over it, then took the blower to the excess clumps. It turned out nice, but my question is, do you charge extra in a situation like this? If so, do you tell your customer ahead of time or just put it on the invoice as "double mow due to excess growth" or something along those lines? Thanks.
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Same price for me unless the growth is really outrageous and then I'll tack on an excessive growth surcharge of 25 to 50% but that's really rare for me. It really depends on how long I have to spend on it. I haven't done it yet this year and have had to double cut and/or bag plenty of lawns. For those that are always heavy growth, I just bump the price up to account for the time required to properly service it. Sometimes I end up letting some of the non priority trimming slip a little if I have to spend extra time mowing.
  3. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

I normally don't charge weekly customers for double cutting. I do charge every other weeker's for extra time.

I've already moved two customers from weekly to 3-5 days. It can be a scheduling problem, but I've had good luck with it.
  4. YardFarmersLLC

YardFarmersLLC LawnSite Member

Nah, if it is a now and then thing I don't charge extra. Now, if they kept sprinklers on it and fertilized the crap out of it and made it grow that much, they would just need a closer interval on the mowing imo.
  5. LawnGuy35

LawnGuy35 LawnSite Member

Good responses, thanks. One thing I didn't mention is that from early April through mid-June, he had me mow twice a week (gotta love customers like that!). But since it's rained almost every day for the last week, he told me to go ahead and mow twice a week again until it slows down. Not going to charge him for the double mow earlier this week.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, don't bite the hand that feeds you, happens to me I end up doing
    extra but so long they're good customers of mine, who cares?

Here's the thing...
    Your paid advertising figures may differ but word of mouth advertising isn't exactly free either,
    way I see things either way it's going to cost me, in my case it comes out to several thousand
    a year, either way I look at it.
    Personally I'd rather just do the little extras, the customers love it, everyone's happy, life is good.

That one took me years before I was able to appreciate it lol
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  7. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I double cut almost all lawns that are fertilized because some companies dont know how to do it right and put way to much fert on then you have sprinkler systems so grass will grow like crazy. SO I double cut almost every lawn plus double cut makes everything look 100 times better imo.
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

One thing. I do note it in my log book and on the invoice if I have to double cut and/or bag, whether I charge for it or not. That way the customer knows and is likely to be more understanding if you raise their price or hit them with a surcharge now and's kind of like keeping score to me.

It sounds like they're generating plenty of income for you if they've had you mowing twice per week and sounds like they're reasonable too so that would count on my score card.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

ain't that the truth. :drinkup:
  10. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you actually have a customer with a bit of common sense. Hang on to him - they're hard to find.