Charge Extra??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chipk1, Mar 5, 2003.

1. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Does anyone charge their regular customers extra for work required outside of normal lawn maintenance. For instance, clean-up (in Florida ) after hard freeze, cleaning out oak leaves in late winter/early spring, clean up of broken branchs and heavily scattered moss from large oak trees after storms. I have a few residential accounts that seem like I spend an extra 30 minutes per visit a few months out of the year cleaning up leaves, large clumps of moss w/ sticks in them, ect.

2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Definately charge extra. We aren't in this business to provide "volunteer services".:cool:

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We can because our seasons change up here in the frozen north.
    Its called "spring clean". In the October its "fall clean".

Spring time here is my busiest time bar none. All jobs are billed.
    We have lots to do as there are many sticks leaves junk on the lawns from the winter. All people have cabin fever and that changes to a form of spring fever when it gets warm. There is alot to do and time does get short so everything is a billable job. The more urgent a customers request, the higher on the billing scale it gets. There are only 2 of us and over 100 spring time customers to service roughly 1 month.
    In the summer we may get a windstorm. If there are many sticks to pick up then they get charged by the hour to pick them up. You have to let the customer know that you are here to do a service and anything above and beyond the agreed service is not a freebie. You don't go in for an oil change and get a free tank of gas because you are low. McDonalds doesn't throw in an extra bag of fries when you buy a burger. The dentist doesn't fill a cavity and then clean your teeth for free.
    You are in to make money and if you are doing something that the homeowner needs done then you should get paid.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You definitely need to charge extra for any services done outside of the contract. You should first talk with the customer and get approval before doing any additional work and I might even suggest using a contract for the additional work.

Gravely_Man