charge for a driveway.. gravel.. maybe 100ft long?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by FrankenScagMachines, Dec 2, 2000.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hey guys (and gals???) :
    What is a decent price for a neihbors 100ft? long gravel driveway with a very small parking area at the back? it is very worn out and so in the middle there is a big hump covered with grass from where the tires have not been.. i will be plowing it with my garden tractor and would like to know what is a good price to ask? the hump will make it harder to plow, i would think... any suggestions as to how to plow it with the hump? it is a one car width drive.
    Thanks a lot,
    Eric

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

That hump in the center will make it next to impossible to plow, at least with a truck. You'd have to "skim" it, with the blade a few inches off the ground. Now, with a smaller blade, like on your tractor, you could straddle a rut on each side. The blade should ride on a high side of each rut. It will leave snow in the tire rut, but at least it won't bite into the center "crown" like a truck plow would.
    Any driveway with a center "crown" isn't easy to plow. I won't take on any driveways in this condition, thay take waaaaaaay too long to plow, and it's next to impossible to do a good job clearing them.

~Chuck

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Chuck and all, I am doing this drive for the neighbors because they are elderly and can't do it and i like to be nice and i'll have fun doing it... i don't have a full time job. i am 13 yrs old.. i could probly get a job working for a grounds main. crew, but they'd have to come get me all the time and take me home. I like that sort of thing a lot and am careful about it and like it so they'd hire me i think, it's just a matter of transportation... the neighbors they pay me to mow their grass and get up the leaves, so i am sure they'd pay me to get the snow outta the way... they pay me $20 a chop for the grass... once a week with their mower and gas and $20 a chop for the leaves with my rig... What about snow with my rig? I am working on a V-plow that will hinge in the middle and be able to lock into position, so i can angle it all directions, and maybe that'll be easier to plow the drive with.... oh, well, we'll see how it goes.. I would'nt be surprised if they offer me $10 or $15 for the snow in the driveway.. we usually only get 3-6" inches at a time here, early morning, say 4 or 5 o'clock, and then it warms up and it gets liquidy and then at nite time, it freezes into ice, then early morning it snows again and the process goes on.. we're in IN, so it's not fierce Blizzards or anything... our snow is wet usually anyway and so is always pretty heavy.. sometimes it'll snow in the afternoon too. hardly ever get the dry fluffy stuff.. so what is a good charge for a driveway like that? Sory for rambling..
    Thanks,
    Eric

4. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Bush Hog,
    Sounds like your on your way into the landscaping biz starting like so manty of us did. Here's a thought. Since these folks are your neighbors and are elderly, I would think about taking what they offer. I'm making assumptions that you personally don't have alot invested in equipment and it won't take more than an hour to plow. Take out the gas money and you make $10. for an hour. Not bad for an hour and you'll be furthering you reputation as a kind and fair businessman for the future.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

SCL,the only problem is you havent figured in for wear and tear,maintance,etc and who's going to fix the plow when it breaks?This is how new businesses quickly become extinct.It is costing you money doing it for 10 and hr+fuel.If he were a bigger,profitable operation,then it wouldnt be a big deal to do this as his way of giving back to the neighborhood.If he's just playing around for fun thats different,but if he's trying to make a profit,and who can live on nothing,this is not a good idea.The next thing you know they'll call all there old friends and they ll want him to do there drives for $10.

6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

John,
    I digress, you are exactly right on the tell all your friends kind of pricing. But a hard part of this business is the difference in pricing from job to job. And you are also correct on the failure aspects of new business. If you look at it from a purely labor rate aspect, we charge $50 an hour for tractor work and $55 an hour for skidloader work regardless of moving dirt or snow. Maybe $25 or $30 for this job might be more in line.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Hey guys, i am doing this for kindness, and i don't do any other drives than mine and my neighbors and i don't advertise myself for business either... i am 13 yrs old...and don't have a trailer or any transportation anyway... so no cigar.... If my stuff breaks, i'll fix it.. i'll take what they offer, i gues.. i was just trying to figure out if they were going to offer too much... they are pretty generous with their money... or it might be standard or less with you guys' standards.. but you have a big business to run... i'm just doing it for lack of something else to do and i like it... thanks again....
    Eric

8. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Eric,

You sound like a good neighbor for these people to have.
    If they give you what seems to be a generous amount for this job, TAKE IT!! They wouldn't offer it if they didn't want you to have it. I'm sure they can afford it and appreciate having you next door to take care of their needs.
    It all evens out some where down the line. Keep up the good work. Good luck!!

Mark

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Mark.. what i mean is, they aren't going to give just $5 for cutting the grass... they are quite reasonable about it... you're right about it being even later...
    Eric

10. snow

snow Guest

So, if your neighbor offered you $2 you'd plow their driveway? You should get a little more than $10 to plow a driveway, i get $25 for a 30' driveway, and that's older people. If you charge low like someone said, they'll tell all their friends and you'll end up putting a professional out of work because you low-balled it.

Bryan