Charge for a terrible yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rockandroller, Apr 4, 2007.

1. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

Went to a new property that was a pain in the ass. Not to large in sq ft. maybe 3000, but a massive hill. I cut the hill, the back yard, and the sidewalk island (it is a corner lot in and urban area St. Louis City) with a trimmer. The only way to get a mower into the back yard was going up this hill, and because there was all sorts of construction debris laying around due to rehab, I cut the whole mother with my trimmer. Trust me, I think it was the best way. What to charge?

Busting my ass I hacked it all down in 30 min...My forearms are burning and I want to get paid. What is fair?
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

30 X $1.50 per minute = $45
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Guess you won't make much of a trim guy.....what about most guys trim for around 6 hours each day. Thirty bucks for the job especiallly since you didnt' get agreement beforehand?
  4. rockandroller

Trimming on a 45 degree angle in large arcing patterns for 30 min would probably do in even the best trim guy. No offense, but I can work the trimmer. I have worked with the owners of this property before and they trust my pricing, thus no need for an agreement. I am going to charge $50 and I think I am being generous.
  5. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

If you don't want it bid it that way.

If you want it, bid it a little lower. Chances are you'll get it anyway and wish you had asked for more.
  6. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

30 min on 45 deg slope is nothing. quit crying Nancy! I mean really quit crying, i have done many of yards will a trimmer when i was learning (entire yards, ran out of gas or something and wanted to get done) trimming 8hrs a day for 6 months for a year or two and you will have forearms like popeye!
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoa! A whole 30 minutes on a slope and your arms are burning? Dude, you need to get in shape
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

$20 and I'm not kidding.
  9. rockandroller

We've got some funny mofo's chiming in here. I like Nancy, and especially the one who said $20 no joke. That is a joke mate! I won't pull my gear off the trailer for less than $20 and that is for yard that takes 15 min solo.....

I like getting paid well, not like a peasant. I will get $50 for that yard, and will be retiring ten years earlier than you'll who are rubbing your forearms and elbows charging $20 for cutting a yard with a string trimmer
  10. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

So, you did the work WITHOUT giving a bid?

Then you bust on people for their opinions?