Charge for hurricane shutters in florida

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Laidback03, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Laidback03

Laidback03 LawnSite Member

I just recently moved to Florida and started a lawn business. i offer shutters as a service but am not sure how much to charge per openning. i was figuring $40 for up and down. does this seem reasonable?
    Thanks, Jason

2. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

I stay away from that myself. As I am not sure the legal stats that are needed to cover yourself. As in what if your work doesn't hold up and damage is done to the house, are you covered? Dif insurance policy for that type of work? I would be interested in seeing who out there in this business offers this....I know I won't.

3. gatormowing

gatormowing LawnSite Member

Is that per window? A friend of mine who holds a handyman license was getting $200.00 per house. He said it was a pain because everyone wanted them down at the same time.

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe you are supposed to be a General COntractor of some sort as that type of work is considered Construction. I know of a guy who is charging upwards of 7k per house for hurricane shutters....big bucks

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I take it this is more than just hammering up some plywood and taping glass...or is it? Any more info?

6. Laidback03

Laidback03 LawnSite Member

this is per openning/window and one/two level houses. all the shutters are made out of thick aluminum. all i have to do is put them up and take them down. ANY THOUGHTS?
    ~Jason

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Once you get a feel for your time involved, it should be fairly easy to make up a charge per panel for ground level and another charge for 2nd story.
    You'll just have to get out and do it a few times to get your ##'s together.
    Charge by panel, the customer can just go to the garage and count how many panels there are and multiply by your price per panel.... estimate done, over the phone, take it or leave it.

You'll need a call charge to cover your trip, pulling the shutters out of the garage, and stacking them back up in the garage.

Keep in mind that this is a premium service, not nice guy work.

Offer a discount if the'll deal with the shutters up for a while after the storm. No reason to go crazy taking shutters down. It's crazy enough putting them up.

Get a cordless drill with a wingnut adapter.