charge for lawn removal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mikefromny, May 14, 2006.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

740 square feet lady wants it removed and put in those rocks , how would you go about billing on this job charge her per square foot to remove the grass ? than put plastic down and fill with rocks >? anybody got any prices for me on the what you would charge for the whole thing by rocks i mean those small red ones , to removed 740 square ft of grass , put the plastic down and fill in with rocks

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

dunno but I'd load the backpack sprayer with a mid-range concentration of round-up and spray the whole thing.
    The black plastic is worthless POS crap, thou I guess it might be worth it in a rock bed, dunno... Then, the rocks, omg those things weigh a ton per cubic yard and you'll need, I dunno, 6-8 or 10 cubes of rocks or thereabouts, depends on size (the smaller the pebble, the less cubes you need for even cover).

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

sod cutter and then haul away the old sod chemical app of Sahara to sterilize the dirt weed netting and the rock. I'd start at 2K for labor and figure UP from there

4. brjohnso

brjohnso LawnSite Member

2,000 for labor for a job that won't even take a full day? What are you guys making... 700,000 ?

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You get free equipment? free fuel? free insurence? free dumping? free trucks? and someone supplying you with free money for your retirement?

Dam I need to move to Tenn. and get me one of those FREE money trees :dizzy:

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Wont even take a full day? You are crazy fella.

Im with Olderthandirt on the method. Skip the plastic part though.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

WOW you work fast!!!
    740 foot of sod--cut, removed, and disposed of and still have time to pick up and spread 7 yards of stone in the same day, you are my hero!

8. brjohnso

brjohnso LawnSite Member

You get free equipment? free fuel? free insurence? free dumping? free trucks? and someone supplying you with free money for your retirement?

Those are all expenses... maybe that's where we got on the wrong foot. If you hire a couple guys @ 10 or 12 a hour, this could be done easily in one day. Those are all considered expenses and should not be counted as a part of labor.

9. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a skid steer--$250 /day

Remove old material-- about 7 yards takes < 2hrs w/skid--guy 2 trims edges as required.

Squirt w/ chemical if you want-- 30 minutes- $50

Lay fabric-- 2 hrs- 2 guys-- $100 material cost

Pay for stone (pre-delivered) $500??

Move stone w/ skid-- <2hrs--have guy 2 spread evenly

Dump material in dump truck and haul away-- 1 hr loading--$100 trucking fee

Pay disposal fee-- $100

So $1100 plus 2 men for a day at $ (your rate--?--about $800 total) = $1900 total job. Add $100 beer money and your home at 4pm and she loves her red rock.

10. brjohnso

brjohnso LawnSite Member

Exactly... your estimate provides for a total cost of $2000 with rental equipment, hauling fees, stone, and fabric with labor already included. I was only asking how someone could charge $2000 in labor alone and still have a good percentage of landing the job.