Charge for light hauling

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lake Claire Lawn Ranger, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Just getting started again, my equipment list is longer than my customer list. So I don't want to turn down profitable work.
    Someone asked me today if I would be available to haul some boxes for their daughter that is moving. I imagine they will want me to load and unload as well. I don't mind that as long as I don't have to pull out the nitro pills. I also wouldn't be surprised if there were pieces of furniture on a trip or two.
    Not wanting to cheat either her or myself, what kind of rates do you guys charge. Like $XX for loading/unloading and $YY base plus $Z/mile?
    Or what?

2. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Round Trip Fuel Money And 35 Bucks An Hour For You The Truck And Trailer. Make Sure You Get Her To Sign A Damage Waiver........you Are Not A Licensed Mover. Cover Ya A$$. You Dont Want To Get Sued Over Something Thats Already Broken Or Conveniently Missing.

3. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Thanks for the tips. Seems like I can't do anything these days without paperwork.

Okay, If the party of the first part spills their hot coffee...
    :D

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Anybody have anymore info for Lake Claire?????

5. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

I do $1.00 per KM, plus anytime you help loading and unloading at $40.00 / hour.

6. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Thanks for the input Triple L. I guess that's in Canadian money. I'll also have to do the distance conversion. :D
    Seriously, I do appreciate your help

7. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Thanks for trying to help John :)

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Anytime :waving:

More will come in payup

9. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

35 an hr to drive 60 an hr to unload and 30 cent a mile to cover fuel

10. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Thanks chuckers. That's another 35 an hour for driving.
    With 60 an hour for loading/unloading, I wonder if it would be easier to just average them and say about 45 an hour for everything. Might avoid the hassle of 'at this time we stopped loading and waited for everyone to get ready to go then at this time we arrived and started unloading.' Since I don't think the mileage would be real high, I could also include the gas cost just like when I mowing.