1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Charge for Mowing and Trimming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proscaper, Feb 1, 2003.

1. proscaper

proscaper LawnSite Member

I know allot of you guys are charging $60 per hour to mow. I am curious as to what your rates are for a two man crew? Do you charge $60 per hour for the mower and $35 or so for the trimmer or is the $60 an hour factoring in your trimmer guy? I have seen this talked about numerous times but I don't think this was clarified and I couldn't find it with a search. If you could post your rates that would be great. I am curious because I raised my rates this year, to about a dollar an hour and haven't landed a single contract yet and I usually have secured 5-10 this time of year. I charge:

$60 hr mowing
    $35 hr trimming
    $35 hr blowing
    $50 hr hedge clipping
    $50 hr Extended hedge clipping

My minimum is $35 for mowing.

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Josh, the answer is simple, if you get $60/hour to mow, that's what you are worth....IOW, $60/hour for "Any job" you do. Just because you have something else in your hands besides a mower, doesn't change how much "you" are worth..........
    Actually, I tack on an extra $5 or so to leaf blowing, since it's such a dirty job...........
    And, just look at it this way: What's harder, extended hedge trimming or mowing.....You know the answer to that, extended hedge trimming, yet you charge less..... NO, no, no, no......
  3. proscaper

Thanks for the response, the reason for the differences in price are because of the cost of equipment. For example, my commercial mower range from $4500 to $9,400 and my 2 cycle stuff ranges from $340 to $580. I charge those different amounts in order to depreciate the equipment differently. I just recently went to the new pricing schedule for new clients and have given 13 bids in the last month and haven't landed one yet. I usually land 3 or 4 jobs out of ten, so maybe I am charging to much for my area or maybe people are holding on to their money more nowadays?

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I find people get confused with too much information.... One price.....remember it's always you doing the work. Hell, if someone wants me walk around their house and pick up sticks it's still $60\hour.... That's just business.......Try it, you'll be more professional...... After all, have you ever heard of a painter, electrician, body man, or roofer, charging different prices for whether or not he paints a door or wall, or if he changes a light switch or garage switch, or if he roofs a todar or ranch house????
    Am I correct????
  5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Pete,to me,it all fits under--1.00 per min.mowing,hedge-trimmin,weedeatin,to me its all the same.But Ido have my preferences.:eek:
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The real answer is $60 per man hour! One hour job and one ,equals 60 minutes and equals $60. One hour job and two men, equals 30 minutes and equals $60.
  7. proscaper

Ok, so how about general labor? I charge $35 per hour if I have guys out raking or doing hand labor. What about you? I can't see charging a customer $60 per man hour for say 5 workers raking leaves. That would equate to $300 an hour or $2400 per 8 hour day. It's not happening, there must be some work that falls into a general category. What do yah think?

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Josh I figure the #s very close to your with the exception of shrub work.

Its very difficult for clients to justify $60/hr for a yard ape who mostly stands idle waiting for the clippings to be ready to get picked up. What I have done is is basically charge them a lower rate for the grunt with the rake and a higher rate for ladder/scaffolding work.

If your basic hourly rate is at the $50 mark, here is how I would charge for any jobs based on an hourly rate.

For you to shear the shrubs I would have charged $50/hr. For you to shear the shrubs if you have to use a ladder, I would charge $55-60/hr. For your laborer to clean-up after you as you shear, I would charge $35-40/hr.
  9. proscaper

Those numbers sound right, that's pretty much exactly what I have been charging. I should be landing more jobs then, must be the economy.

10. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Switchless, you are wrong if you think that pricing should be consistant per hour regarless of job or equipment. You must price according to your costs. Your cost will vary significantly on diferent jobs and with diferent equipment.