1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

charge for refusing an ordered estimate ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 7, 2011.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

What do you guys do if somebody asks for a lawn treatment estimate, but when you get there, they say "Not interested". ???? (then they pretty much run you off the property).

I had one yesterday. I showed up within 24 hours of their phone call. (The son called in asking for a lawn estimate plus light pruning & poison ivy control). I rang the doorbell 3 times & waited. No answer. Then I started measuring. When I got to the back yard, his mother was there watering flowers. She asked me who I was and what what I was doing on her property. I told her that Randy called yesterday for a free estimate. Her response, "NOT INTERESTED".

The property was very neglected. It was full of creeping Charlie, flowers, volunteer trees, poison ivy, etc, etc. I figure the property was the crappiest within many blocks. So I called Randy on his cell phone before I drove away. (He works hard, and does not want to mess with maintaining the property --I don't blame him). He also apologized, yet he did not seem to care that our company lost time & money.

Is there a legal way to charge for our expenses in a situation like this? I'm thinking probably not, but maybe you guys have an answer/suggestion. Thanks :confused:

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You said the estimate was free. Would you feel better if she'd let you do the estimate and then said "not interested"?

Count your blessings.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Send Randy a bill and see what happens.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

could go either way on this - ive tried charging 50 for an full estimate/analysis, fully refundable upon signup for service-- helps weed out the bozos
    but most other trades still offer free estimates

the thing that still kills me is customers expecting free service calls

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

How about charging for an estimate with credit towards the yearly application schedule or services? That might "weed" out price shoppers and the competition.

6. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How do you know randy works hard?

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi buddy - Very sorry I was not able to see you last week. Just south of K.C., they closed down US 71 due to a semi accident. I sat in traffic for an hour before they got the highway cleared -- that really sucked.

Around here, lco's are a dime a dozen. (many dozens in the phone book) There is no way we could charge for lawn care estimates and still be competitive. On the other hand, we do charge for tree/shrub estimates/evaluations.

As for low-rent Americans that steal our money...that's what Sahara is for. :laugh: (my 2 cents)

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure you can quote a price to Randy on the phone. He may want to pay for it on behalf of his mother. Maybe he forgot to inform his mother he asked for an estimate. Make him feel guilty for wasting your time early in your sales presentation.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  9. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

As long as mom doesn't break out the twelve gauge when he shows up to do a treatment
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Delete