charge for travelling time.... TWICE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 13, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

for those who charge hourly, or figure traveling time into thier rates, can you charge twice, for traveling time? example: it is understood the leaf cleanup will be charged hourly, including traveling time. drive time is like 40 min each way. you go, start the job, it starts pouring rain. you leave, you return the next day to finish. can you charge for traveling time for both days?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I wouldn't.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have to agree with rodfather.... its a tough situation though. the rain wasn't your fault and the rain wasn't their fault so its hard to justify them paying twice... or you not getting more money.... my solution, do it when you have a big window of sunshine... :D

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

This issue is sort of like taking questionable tax deductions, until someone complains or refuses the charge or deduction you can do what ever you want.

Personally the only travel time I ever charge for is associated with dump fees and is included in the fee.

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

With that much drive time, unless it's an all day job, why not stay and finish it in the first place?

I've worked in more rain in the last couple of months than I care to think about, and there is NO way we'd be where we are at as far as maintenance is concerned if we hadn't....

Yeah, rain makes things harder, and it may take a little longer, but you wouldn't have to go back the next day......... Now to go and start another job in the pouring rain might be a little on the insane side.:)

But to answer your question, I doubt travel time would be charged twice.

Dan

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

40 degrees, windy, ice cold rain.....nah, i aint staying to finish. how do you justify NOT charging for travel time twice? it was charged, because it was neccesary to cover this cost. now, the cost just doubled.

7. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Its not the customers problem that you tried to do a clean-up in the rain that was 40 miles away. If there was rain in the forcast you should have stayed closer to your shop or not gone out at all that day. Anyways I wouldnt charge twice for travel time.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

u live pretty close to me. i havn't actually kept track, but in the last 20 days, between hurricane force winds, and rain, there may have been like 5 workable days. so when are you gonna do the cleanup? christmas eve? anyhow these are customers who, by no fault of mine, have waited till mid december to call and inquire about leaf cleanup. i believe it is only fair TO ME AND MY FAMILY, that the customer pay costs associated with the service. BUT, that's just me. i didn't make it rain, and i can't make it stop, and i am certainly not going to give things away because it rained

9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

If the customer was to send you away for some reason then I could see you charging them extra for an extra trip, but they don't control the weather. If you're in the middle of a job and bad weather hits it's your decision to either suck it up, try to wait it out, or leave and return another day.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

No one is asking you give anything away, charge whatever you feel like, it only really matters what your client is willing to pay .You don't need our approval to justify your rates do you?