Charge more because of rain and overgrowth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, Jun 12, 2003.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible to add a charge becuase of all the rain we have had? I missed about 10 days because of rain, and the grass was crazy, had to double and triple cut some lawns, will I get away with charging for this?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Double Cuts = Normal Fee + 50%
    Triple Cuts = Normal Fee + 75%

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: we have in our contracts that if mowing has to be skipped due to weather or sprinklers we will double charge, miss a cut 2 weeks and had to double charge, so far no problems with people cryin, if they cry i simply tell them to read the middle part of there contract. i so get the "oh yeah". tony

4. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member

That means next year if we have a drought and you only have to cut the grass 2 times a month rather than 4 you will charge them less right?

Dont think so!

5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Old- That is exactly right. I only charge per mow, billed at the end of the month. Thats the way EVERYONE does it around here. So is the general consensus a "yes"?

6. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

If I'm charging per cut, then I would not charge them extra if I didn't cut because of my choice (or mother natures choice), but if the customer asked not to have the cut done then they get charged anyway.

If they are on a monthly billing contract (i.e. $xx.xx per month for as many cuts as they need, then I charge the monthly fee if I cut them once or 5 times.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i always charge extra. when a 20 min job turns into a 35 min job, u must charge more

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Lately bobby, 20 minute jobs are taking more like 45 minutes:cry:

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i know dude, it blows. when production is cut in half, but work hours are the same, whats a man to do? its not a matter of "whos fault it is" that it rained, its the fact that more time spent, due to an act of god, must be charged accordingly.

10. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would never even think of it. Not trying to be self rightous, but the weather is part of the job and working through and around it is also. We should never penalize the customer because we are unable to do our job. IMO Good way to loose customers in a hurry. Bewtween drought and flood there is a balance of how many properties you can maintain based on each persons ability equipment, staff and so forth.