Charge more for bag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassMastersKS, Jan 12, 2008.

1. GrassMastersKS

GrassMastersKS LawnSite Member

Do you charge extra to bag a yard? if so, how much extra?

2. zMaster225

zMaster225 LawnSite Member

Depends on the size of yard and whether or not you have to haul the grass away... I usually will charge regular mowing rates if it's for a loyal customer who will also have me do other work for him.
    If I did charge extra, i'd maybe bump up a $35 or $40 cut to $50.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I charge $5 per bag (load dumped out of mower). I only do bagging of leaves & absolutely no grass (unless it's w/ leaves). I only give estimates for leaves, as it is easy to be way off & end up in the hole.

4. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Every single LCO here bags on every job because many people just count on it to be done. This year in my pricing sheet I included the option of mulching for a $5 discount per yard. I'd really love it if people just asked me to mulch but I know that is not going to happen. Bagging is done 90% of the time.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Whether it's KS region-specific or not, I don't know...but the K-State county extension service estimates that bagging adds 1/3 to the total time. Would guess that to be an average over the year. Too many municipalities are now going toward paper yard-waste bags...so whether hauling it off or the former...it ain't worth it to me. PITA.

6. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I do bigger lawns and have not bagged in a long time. I do have a pull type sweeper that I use sometimes if it is a mess. Back when I did smaller lawns I timed my work in bagging vs. non bagging of the same lawn. By the time you stop the mower to unload the bag or dump it,, haul it to where ever it goes (which is hopefully not far away), you have twice the amount of time into your work. Plus you probably will need a bigger truck or trailer and more room to store it/or them, and more insurance. A lot less work and time if you can dump it on the property,, but still is more work and time. And your time is worth money.

7. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I do bigger lawns and have not bagged in a long time. I do have a pull type sweeper that I use sometimes if it is a mess. Back when I did smaller lawns I timed my work in bagging vs. non bagging of the same lawn. By the time you stop the mower to unload the bag or dump it,, haul it to where ever it goes (which is hopefully not far away), you have twice the amount of time into your work. Plus you probably will need a bigger truck or trailer and more room to store it/or them, and more insurance. A lot less work and time if you can dump it on the property,, but still is more work and time. And your time is worth money.

8. BonesMalone

BonesMalone LawnSite Member

Our charge for bagging grass is current mow price + 33%. I would'nt even consider it for anything less than that.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Since this thread has a Kansas theme to it, I will chime in as well... I'm pretty close to you, in Newton, and here we bag pretty much 90% of the time. If I don't bag it's just a mess, or I end up having to go back over some ares 2x to get rid of clippings on top. I don't know anyone here that charges "extra" to bag, simply because bagging is just part of the job here. I do take into consideration places that I DON'T have to bag, and those prices will be a little less.

This whole "it takes too long to bag" deal is usually BS. Compare apples to apples here... I could NOT, on a normal week, just not bag any of my lawns and save any time at all. Many lawns would need to be double cut, plus there would be an enormus amout of extra clean-up that has to be done to get the clippings back out of where they shouldn't be. If I was onlt cutting off 2 to 3 inches a week I'd never bag! But here we are usually cutting 3" minimum, up to 6" of new growth every week! Only in the dry part of the summer is there a break, but then there's usually tree leaves here and there, and If I wasn't bagging they wouldn't get picked up, and that would look like garbage.

10. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

Not an option.
    And I convince them that it is less healthy to bag.