Charge more for bi-weekly per cut?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 17, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

What if someone only wants an every 10 day service or bi-weekly. A lot of them will go way past the 1 inch growth, maybe up to 5-6 inches. Should I charge these people more if they get it cut less often? And what do ya'll charge to bag it up if it's too high?

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I won't service someone who wants bi-weekly or every 10 day service. Grass grows too tall, it's not good for the grass to cut it, you get issues with clumping, and usually you have to double cut it to make it look decent. In any case, you're usually looking at more time on the property no matter what you do.

If you are set on doing this, for a bi-weekly deal I wouldn't necessarily say double the price, but if it's a 40.00 lot, I'd charge 50-75% more so something like 60-70 a cut for bi-weekly.

3. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i do bi-weeklys those customers are the easiest they never complain,most of the time they have turd yards, don't fertilize, don't water and don't care if it looks good they just want it cut with out having do it it themselves, i don't do any other type of schedule where i have to count days on the calendar thats to much BS and not enough money. i usually charge 10-15 bucks over what i would charge them for weekly service.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

This is another reason I don't do bi-weekly stuff. You're right that the appearance of the lawn is less than desirable, and sometimes just terrible. The customer does nothing to it.

This reflects directly on me, if I'm servicing a yard that looks like complete crap, how do I know that other potential customers aren't looking and thinking badly of my company? For all they know, I'm full-servicing the yard and not doing a good job because there are bare spots, weeds, dead patches, etc. I'm not willing to have potential customers think that of my operation.

5. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

I try to keep them from going that route because of the way they make you look.I raise the price and cut the service.With me,monthly would be their best deal.Weekly would be the next best for them,but I try to keep a bad deal on biweeklys.If they want a bad deal then they can have it

6. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i see what yall mean about the apperance, but for me around here the yards i have that i take care of and look good those customers would probably never see the yards i have that don't look so good. my area split up like that so its not really an issue.
    for headache reasons mainly i would rather have all bi-weekly yards.

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

If I normally charge 35 per cut and someone wants cut on a bi weekly basis then I will charge 50-60 per cut because Its like doing twice the work

8. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, ok. So I'll just explain to them that it's twice the work and hard on the machinery ( which isn't cheap) so thus the increase in price of $10-15 more or 50-70% more doing it bi vs every week.

Thanks ya'll are great!

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why I won't do it.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

People that go bi-weekly are trying to pinch money and don't care about their yard or what the neighbors think. So are they likely to go for big bucks to have it cut....usually no way on a regular bi-weekly. What they will do is let you do it a few times at your high price then call and say skip this week it don't need to be done. ON the other hand if you leave the price at normal and put them under a 12 month contract they do just fine and you get the business for a year.