charge more for micronutients?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by americanlawn, Jan 16, 2014.

1. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry, all my fertilizer is blended from EC Gro. They will blend anything you want as long you orde 5 pallets of it. All my ferts contain ammonium sulfate. I hope you have this years fertilizer ordered already as the prices went up Feb. 1.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

With corn/soybean and other commodity prices dropping a lot, I'm hoping fert prices will be "acceptable" for everybody. FD -- we received/locked in enough fert (including micros) to get us thru early June. After that it will be the usual "crap shoot". LOL

3. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

With nitrogen being a byproduct of the natural gas industry. Natural gas production will effect N prices. I would think with a record winter. Natural gas is in high production supplying allot of byproduct,,,N. I'm no economics expert. Shouldn't N prices be low for a while. Then as the country warms prices should go up? Any thoughts or corrections needed in my statement.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. FdLLawnMan

Larry, I did that one year. Bought my first round because my fert supplier said he didn't think prices would go up much. I told him to let me know when he heard they would be going up and I would buy before that happened. When I went to order fert had. Jumped 20% and he did not warn me. Never again. I buy a years worth when the prices are low. No more crapshoots for me.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

6. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Without reading any more of the thread than this post yet, my feeling is people couldn't care less about micro nutrients.

They want the weeds and insects killed and the grass green.

Beyond that they couldn't care less.

8. FdLLawnMan

You are correct. From my experience customers want no weeds and green grass. Oh, and by the way they want it cheap also. It's interesting to talk about all the different fertilizers and herbicides we use, but the average customer could care less.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

They do not care how you do it. True. I find that paying attention to more than what the cheapest source of N enables me to produce greener grass that does not surge grow. Everything costs at least 20% more a bag no matter what it is. So what do I want to do? Need to apply 1 lb+ of N every month or apply 1/2 lb N with an ounce of micronutrients? Consider that the lawn on the 1 lb+ will need to be mowed more than once a week.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I know what you're saying (better be detailed on those weeds along the edges too). Problem is, there will always be a flush of growth during spring. Customers wait until it's a foot tall to mow. Then they wonder why their lawn turns yellow. (same folks who mow SHORT during drought) :confused:

I would like to minimize nitrogen and use other nutrients instead -- while still having green lawns. I understand other nutrients cause the grass to grow, but I'm trying to "minimize the damage" so to speak. :usflag::canadaflag: