charge more for micronutients?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by americanlawn, Jan 16, 2014.

1. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Turfmd and Skip,

I am inline with your thought processes. After a greater understanding and learning, I try to make the practical applied knowledge as simple as possible.

Looking at Terra Preta mineral soils, and the future of biochar in a biobased economy, it all made more and more sense to look in this direction.

Humic substances have their place in building/improving mineral soil health, stabilizing N and P, and as a powerful chelator of Micros.

Should we call Humic Substances a "Micronutrent"?

2. heritage

http://www.soilminerals.com/Cation_Exchange_Simplified.htm

Larry,

Open this link and read the "Organic Matter and Humus" section first.

See the addition of humic substances as Colloidal sites for the Calcium Carbonates to attach to, in your high pH soils. In turn you will see your soils pH begin to fall and micros will become more available to plants.

3. heritage

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

What I want to know is -- where's my free LawnSite t-shirt for generating this much interest? :) lol

Spraying humic acid never gave us any response whatsoever. We used "Carbotech" (Iowa) for 2 years back in the 90's. Said their humic acid fert was the best thing since sliced bread, but we saw no difference -- even at their highest rate. http://www.tuttgroup.com

"Carbotech Iowa" sold us a bill of goods. They said they screened it, yet it was like coffee grounds (fine sand at best). We used the smallest screen size possible in our fill station. Same with our spray rigs. It was a total mess, cuz we couldn't spray the sh$t. On top of that, it was only N,P,K. No micro's to speak of. Carbotech promised if we spread their sh$t on top of the ground, everything would be better.

Lesson learned on my part.

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Liquid Humic acid is best applied in small amounts several times rather than at higher rates at one application. I sent you an email. Check it out.

6. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks Barry, and we will continue to be a customer of yours.

7. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

So "build it" and "they will come". I think that can be related to fungus, undesirable weeds, certain turf damaging insects & certain structural pests. Build a great bar and drinkers will come. Build a great turf site, the posters come out. Build the best products you sell out. I could go on & on... And on.

The point is, if you create a desirable habitat for any distinctive variety of living organism, more than likely, populations of your target organism will populate the particular habitat. Even building a great culture will bring vast populations. So, let's get building on our horti- culture!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. heritage

Turfmd,

Agree on building the soil. We will continue to go this route as well.

Larry I can relate to your messy past with the form you were using....Reminds me of the days of Kelzan and Nitroform Powder Blue LoL.

What we are using is not like the days of old.

Build soil biology.

9. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks all. I think what I was getting at is:

Why keep applying large amounts of slow release nitrogen every single app?

Most guys in my town rely on nitrogen in every app. I want to get away from that, but only if it makes sense.

We mostly apply granular fert (for several reasons). Yet we also apply liquid fert as needed.

NOTE: We trust & buy from Barry. I just wish I knew as much as the rest of you all. I truly appreciate all your input for sure. Thanks :usflag::canadaflag:

p.s. Still waiting for my t-shirt. :laugh:

10. heritage

Larry,

What have you decided post discussion with materials choice and price points?