charge more for one time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, May 26, 2001.

do you guys charge more when mowing for someone on a one-time basis?

1. Yes,I charge (a certain amount-we'll say $5) extra for one time mows.

23 vote(s)
  2. Yes I charge(a certain percentage-we'll say 10%)extra for one time mows.

14 vote(s)
  3. Depends on the situation if I charge more or not.

27 vote(s)
  4. Absolutely not - I may lose that lawn to someone else if I don't take advantage of it.

0 vote(s)
  1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Hey,just wanted to know if you guys charge more when someone calls you and says "can you mow my lawn this once,while my mower is in the shop?"...or something like that.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I answered your poll, but we charge more than 10% than the actual price.

We just don't need the extra work. So most times it's like really a bother to try and do a one timer.
    If it looks easy and is close to an existing account, then we might do it.
    If the yard would normally be $40.00, we tell them that. But then we say, "but since you are only interested in a one time deal, your cost will be $60.00." Might sound like a big increase, but at this point we aren't looking for extra work so if they bite ok, if not that's ok too.

If you need the work, price the work accordingly so you get the job.
    One time yards are good for people that need more work. They add that little extra jingle to the pocket. But one time jobs can hurt the person that is overbooked. If that is the case, then definitely charge high!
  3. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

1/ For a One-TIme clean-up - I charge whaever is appropriate for that particular job. (This assumes it's not just a "first visit" for a new maintenance client)

2/ For a New Maintenance Client - If the yard has not been "well-maintaained", then I will charge 50-100% MORE than my rugular rate for the first visit, or first few visits (depending on how severe the clean-up is & how long it will take, will we wtretch it out over several weeks, etc.).

I've had a number of "one-time" jobs, and looking back, I'd rather not do them unless I'm getting paid well for it.

All my recent "new client" have agreed to "extended first visits" (at additional cost). When I discuss my services, if we agree that they want to have their yard looking a lot bettter than it does, it's a short step to get them to understand that it will take more time (and money) at first.

And if they don't understand, the next guy can have them!

CLARKE LawnSite Member

A lady called & said her mom & dad were out of town
    and wanted to know if i could mow there lawn it was just
    down the street from where i live, She said that it would
    take her a hour or so to do it with there 20inch mower
    but if i could do it that would be great, I told her $25.00
    She said is that all i'll give you $30.00, It took me 20 min
    to mow it and 4 min's to ride my mower down there and back.
    :blob1:EASY MONEY I'LL SAY :blob3:
  5. script

script LawnSite Member

I took the poll also, but wanted to say that I do charge more for the first cut or a one time cut. I always charge $10-15 more for the first cut even if they're going to be a regular weekly customer. But I agree with Jodi, if I'm busy or backed up I won't take the job if it's only a one time cut.

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I charge alot more, cause I know that I am not going to possibly be cutting them in the future. They get what they want if you cut it for the proper amount. It is foolish to charge what you would if you would cut it all year long.
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have also found that with most of the people wanting the "one time cut", have let thre grass grow for 2-3 weeks and takes a lot longer than it would normaly take. I think some of these people wait until they can find someone to cut it at the low rate they want.When i first started and did not know better I did this, but now,knowing what what all the costs of operating this business are, I charge double the price of what the cut would cost. I think if I am going have to work myself and my equiptment that much harder then they need to pay for it,if not OH WELL they can let it grow higher and higher until they find someone to do it cheap.
  8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ok i said it depends, 1 if the people are going on vaction i will cut it for the regular price if i know the people or they live next store to a customer of mine. 2 if its the 1st time of the year i charge more like 200-300% of what it costs depending on how high it is. if someone is in a jam and can't mow it for some reason i'll add $5 to cut it.
  9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I'm with major tom. we don't need the work, and will only do one time shots on a blank check and in a neighborhood we are in that day. the lawn is always high, always harder on equipment and you can't see the trash. the edging weedeating is always much harder than a regular as well. we are now off one timers on chemical as well, and irrigation service calls are $75 minimum. Dave g
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I cut a lawn this am for a lady whose mower has been in the shop for three weeks. Under normal circumstances as a client I would have charged her $30 per cut. Because this is considered extenuating circumstances in my book, I charged her $65 for the cut.

The job took almost an hour but it was only 10 minutes round trip from the shop and a Holiday weekend. Normally I would have charged her 2.5 times the regular rate. If it had been 5 weeks I would have quoted her 4.5 times the regular rate.