1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Charge more on existing account?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJ GreenScapes, Jun 12, 2004.

1. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

I have a customer who insists on making his yard harder to cut. Since I started doing his lawn 3 months ago, he has added a swing set, 10 trees with small rings, and a playset - all situated throughout his backyard. After the swingset I thought - OK, a little more trimming but no big deal. After the first 5 trees, I thought the same thing. Well, now it is taking me 15 to 20 extra minutes on his yard every week... The problem is this is one of my best accounts (as far as price and timely payments). I would hate to lose it, but then again I hate doing extra work for free. Any suggestions?
  2. Matts Mowing

Matts Mowing LawnSite Member

If the price and timely payments are more imporant than the inconvenience then do not say anything..
  3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just tell him your going to increase all you accounts. He wants to spend money on his lawn, no reason Wal Mart should get it all.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would perhaps just add an extra $2 to $3. Feel him out and see whether he makes a big deal. If he doesn't, then next year raise it up about $5
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If he changes the lawn you can change the price accordingly.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have it written right into my contract that if you make significant changes to your property, Like additional landscaping, fence installation, or not picking up after yourself the price will be changed to reflect that. Time is money both for us and for them.

I draw their attention to this part when we review the services vs compensation part of the contract.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Simply ask him, "Sir, do you think I spend more or less time now at your property with all the additional items to trim and mow around"? Should I do that for free, or should a slight fee increase be in order?

His payment history has nothing to do with the decision. Additional work means additional money. Simple!
  8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Perfect ! I could not have said it better myself
  9. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

You guys make some great points. I will talk to him this week... Thanks.