Charge per acre...Mowing only

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tteckster, Feb 19, 2006.

1. tteckster

tteckster LawnSite Member

Commercial mowing, they want mowing only, nothing else. Aprox. 67 acres, 38 stops(load & unload). 40 mile round trip. Whatcha think? $45.00 per acre?

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

So you are averaging about 2 acres per stop - How long is the total route - ie 50 miles or 5 miles?

Personally, I have a minimum per stop - and if they average about 2 acres, I would charge $60 ($35 for the first acre and $25 for the second) per stop if it was not a major drive time deal, but then the customer may find someone closer that will beat you out, so you have to figure that in also.

3. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

No trimming? Or are the areas completely cutting and no areas to trim. I would have to really think about it all they wanted was cutting and there are areas that need to be trimmed. The way I look at it, if people see me working at these places and it doesnt look good (b/c it is not trimmed) after I leave, they are going to think that is the kind of work that I do. It might be a good money maker but you have to think of the long term consequences. How many people will see you working there and think negatively of your company. As far as charging per acre, normally I would try to get $55-65. But if you can get $45-55/acre, that not that bad. Just wondering, how long do you think this will take you?

Ron

4. tteckster

tteckster LawnSite Member

Route = 40 miles round trip, so, you average $30.00 per acre? I will not go below $40 per acre on this job.

No trimming, nothing to trim! Mowed grass turns into field!

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

If this helps, fine, if not fine, but I have a county job - 38 acres, 100 miles of drive time, takes 7 hrs of mowing time ( two tractors ) 14 total hrs. and we get $1290 per mow = $92 per hr per machine - Drive time would bring it down to 9 hrs divided = $71.66 per hr. per machine, including drive time. Not bad wages. If you want more than that, get a Law degree. I will guarantee that mowing is better than dentistry thiese days.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Basically, 38 "accounts" is how I would look at it. My minimum is $50 / stop, and the 2 acres with nothing but mowing would fall there, so $50 times 38 stops is.... $1900, correct??

Also, what are you using for equipment. I've got an 11' WAM that I carry on the trailer, so I'd be in and out in a deal like that.

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with this. I will not do any lawns that require no trimming. It's bad for my image and I know I can find the "full" work somewhere else. I think it's too risky, especially being solo and 19 like I am, to be seen doing sub-par work.

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

do you know if these properties are fertilized and if so, by whom?

If they are fertilized by someone like Tru-Burn, your job wont be as easy and you may have to cut them more than once in a given service call....particularly in spring.

MOst of my commercial properties are not fertilized but if they were, my fee would be a bit higher