charge per cut or by the month

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, Apr 20, 2001.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you give 2 bids on a residential lawn.Im trying this,this year..Ill give a per month bid and a per cut bid with the per cut bid to be a little more then a monthly bid.example $100 per month $30 per cut with??? Or what way has been more successful monthly or per cut??
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

personly that doesn't sound good to me. what if you have to cut the yard 5 times in that month (spring), you will lose money.
    bid the yard at what you think it's worth on a weekly basis, and bill them at the end of the month.
    or if you would like the money before hand tell them you will cut it lets say 5 times so they would pay $150. but if you cut it only 4 times then they get a cutting next month because they paid for 5 in the 1st month. do you understnad what i'm trying to say? good luck to you.
  3. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I calculate the number of cuts per season, and multiply times the cost per service to arrive at the price per season. I give my clients the option of dividing that number by twelve, or paying for the number of visits each month at the conclusion of the month. I don't charge more money just because the client chooses to pay per cut. Why would you charge more? Just curious.
  4. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

Craig is right, charge by the month or by the season. Mowing a lawn is like insurance that you'll be there. If you have a drought and you'er per cut, you have no income, but your overhead keeps coming month after month. We offer a 7% prepay if the whole season is paid for up front. After 3 years of using a prepay, we have 25% of our mowing gross in the bank right now. Our credit line is at 9% and I haven't had to use it yet. Price the interest on a new mower or a new truck.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Bid by the cut only.
    So if the yard is $45.00, then it's $45.00 a cut, or if they choose to pay monthly it is $180.00.

When my electric bill comes in monthly, I do not get the option of paying say for 6 months and getting a discount. I pay for the service as it is charged. No discounts.

6. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

In Florida, we service our customers year round. Our annual contract calls for 42 visits per year. If its a $45 yard, multiply $45 x 42 =$1890/yr divided by 12 months = $157.50/mo. My discount to the customer for signing the contract is to lower that monthly amount to the nearest 9. Example $157.50 would be $149 per month ( they save $102 )
    So I am still really getting what I want for each visit, am guarenteed work all year and give the customer the perception of a lower price.
  7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I do the exact same thing. It comes in handy for larger yards..helps out on the customers pocket book and helps mine during the winter. I like to carry both...those seasonal customers come in handy when I need quick money at hand where as with the 12 month customers I know what to expect especially during the winter. Instead of rounding down to the 9 I usually keep the same price I come up with and throw in weed and feed for spring and winterizer in the fall and if it is really not bad with some I throw in a free gutter cleaning per season.. the customer likes this and will usually want you to do a couple of more during the season which is an extra 2 little coins :D
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

The monthly year round clients save you in drought and winter, the seasonal give you cash when you need it- gas, employee and equipment buying time. do both. dave