Charge per hour or yard size

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Reassurance Property, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

Is it better to charge by the hour or by the square feet per yard?

2. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

You will probably hear about half and half as far as responses for charging by the hour or by the square footage. I don't necessarily have a set hourly rate, because I think that could limit the amount of money I could make. I've been doing this long enough to go up to a yard, and give a price after walking around and seeing the potential work. Some days, I'm by myself and I might make $35/hr. Other days, I will have my two employees helping and I can make as much as $75+/hr. It all depends on your employees and your equipment, and of course, what you are capable of doing. The bigger equipment you have, the more yards you can get done.

I'd say get a MINIMUM of $35-$40/hr. Hope this helps.

3. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

Thank you. Thats what we charge too but sometimes its a really big job and you might charge for the size. What would you charge per yard then?

4. agr682

agr682 LawnSite Member

I have a base charge per acre and then increase from there depending on the amount of trimming, obstacles and steepness. I would also suggest setting a minimum charge, if not you will end up cutting yards too cheap. I usually charge $50/acre plus trimming with a minimum of $35, even for 1/4 acre lots. I don't get every lawn I bid, but I get the bills paid.

5. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

I would just charge by the size of the yard. I see you've been in the business for a few years. It just takes some time to learn about how long it will take for any given yard. You'd rather overbid and not get the yard than underbid and be stuck. On a yard that takes 30 minutes to do for one person, I'd say get about $30, depending on location relative to your route. That's how I do business, but others may have a different way.