Charge per hour

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CozyHollow, Feb 26, 2012.

1. CozyHollow

CozyHollow LawnSite Member

What do you believe is a fair market wage to charge per hour? I'm from the North East and own a one man operation beginning this Spring.

I figure $150.00 an hour is a fair wage and covers everything. (everything means cut, weed wack, edge and blow) What say you? Be easy on me fellas'. Only want to enter into the business on the level and NOT over or under price the industry.

Thanks!

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm also in the north east. You may get half that for high end residentials, full service. At least that's what we do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh::laugh:

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You beat me to it! LOL

5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Your expectations are pretty high and frankly you will have a have let down going in thinking you'll get $150 an hour solo.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CozyHollow

I've been "in the business" for many years but never was "in business" so I never really paid attention to what the landscapers I worked for charged...until now. Now my landscaping days are far behind but the skills I acquired are still with me.

I figure a quarter acre home would be $40.00 to $45.00 to cut, edge, trim and blow depending. A third acre approx. $65.00 depending and an acre approx. $175.00...I'm asking EVERYONE I SEE on the road and get varying opinions and sometimes just plain nonsense (competition who don't want competition if you know what i mean). Anyway, I was told to lay 1 yard of mulch would be $125.00. I could do that in no time at all...someone else said 1 yard is $75.00 and like i said, I don't care if i can charge $300.00 to lay a yard by taking advantage of someone...I'M NOT going to do something like that.

So the $150.00 an hour for me personally would be for Spring and Fall clean outs. I could also see that price broken down in a 20 to 30 minute yard cut, edge, trim, blow as you figure it into the pricing of a 1/4 acre, 1/3 acre and 1 acre cost.

All I want is the fair market for the industry. I've been reading a lot about undercutting the industry price by even 3 to 5 dollars to just try to get "the job" and it's no good for anyone...so all I want is what;s right for the consumer, the industry and ultimately for me. I don't plan on being a fly by. I'm 45 years young and as strong as a 26 year old and after working for other people all my life...those days are OVER forever!

Thanks for the input!

7. CozyHollow

...I also noticed that the southern states charge close to half LESS than the North East, give or take a bit

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  8. aaron79mowing

aaron79mowing LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

You are crazy lucky if you can get that. In my area you'd be doing well to make $60 per hr by yourself. And that would be if you had a capable machine, like a 60'' ztr.

9. J.R. Services

J.R. Services LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch around here goes for 65/yd undyed 70-75/colored unless the beds are dense with flowers and shrubs or can't be accessed by a wheel barrow or truck. In todays market, unless you're into super high end homes, figure on $40-$50/hr, although if you set a 1hr minimum for cleanups you can, in theory make 100-200/hr

10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I would lower your expectations some or you are going to set yourself up for disapointment. I prefer your attitude to the guy who says I make $12 an hour at my regular job so I can make $15 an hour mowing and I am doing great......but your goals are somewhat unrealistic. How long would you figure it would take you to do a 1/4 acre by yourself mowed trimmed, blown off with your 36" walk behind? I don't think your 1/4 acre price is bad but I bet it takes you at least a half hour to finish everything. I don't see anyone paying 175 to mow 1 acre....just can't imagine anyone paying that. I dont think 125 a yard installed is bad for mulching edging weeding. I dont see your 150 an hour but if you can make it, great.