Charge x-tra fro pick up fruit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coldlake, Jul 15, 2001.

1. coldlake

coldlake LawnSite Member

A lot of customers don't want to pick up their fallen oranges, plums, peaches etc, from the ground in the front or back yards.
    I dont really have the time to stop and pick it up, it just gets mashed down. Some even don't prune back the grapes. Should I charge extra to do this? The mower will pick up most walnuts etc, but they also propel quite a few. It isn't cost effective to pick the fruit before it falls, and even if we did pick it, what would we do with it?

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i really try not to pick up fruit from the ground, but if one or two cuts goes by and the fruit is still there i give in. it does look really bad when the lawn is all nicely cut except for one area of mashed peaches.
    spending ten minutes picking up won't kill your day but will keep the customer happy. somebody once told me thats important
    ;)

3. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

A Stihl powerbroom would be great for that.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

got a few orange trees over there ????.....yep gotta love a 5-7 day rotten squishy, half eaten fruit on a nice soft .... moist lawn or bug packed dirt ......yum -yum

we mow right over em .... great fertilzer .... on premiums pick em up ...... use their garbage cans ..... and .... you bet charge for it ..... not by the hour by the piece

they'll let you mow over em after that bill hit's em ...... we have one yard with over 20 orange n grape fruit trees on it .....that's alot of trash n heavy ........

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the smell of mulched Oranges in the morning!

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Fun to trim around too. That spray of rotten fruit all over you....drives the flies crazy.

BTW, agreed, mulch em.

7. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Keep up the beatings and charge extra for lawn clean-up.

8. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

A new service to provide= fresh made MO_JAM " yes ma'am just hold your toast right thier and I'll sling you some peach jelly in just a second"

"yes we can give your dog a treat"

As far charging, yes if it is exessive to the point of spending time
    getting trash bags full. One, two, five, ten peaches per trip not to much problem.

Think about it this way, the customer without the fruit tree(s) is not going to pay for the time spent on those with, so who pay if the customer dona geet charge, you got it yous does.

Charge nasty fruit pickup fee
    :D :blob3:

9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

You're providing a service, I would charge for it. If the client doesn't want to pay for the service, then let the fruit lay.

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

You could always bring a bag, pick up the good stuff leave the bad and let your family enjoy. Maby get your wife to make you a pie. Or have your kids set up a fruit stand for something to do. Give some to your other customers in form of a fruit basket.
    And best of all pick some and let your employees enjoy between jobs. Used to time a couple with Apple/Pear/Grapes right before lunch.
    Unfortuantly most are prolly in bad shape as the owner dosnt care for them. I say just make applesause on the lawn, or bag arround the trees.