1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Charged $50/hr,am I justified?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Dec 10, 2004.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I had 1 job to do yesterday, not a large job. I had to remove 1 shrub and 2 small trees and replant in another location on my customers property. I went over to his house Tuesday and went over the details as far as the transplanting goes(we didn't talk price-he is a good customer and I did a large mulch job earlier in the season for him). I jumped in my truck yesterday and headed to the store to buy the needed items(top soil,fert) for this job and went straight to the house and started working. I charged him $50/hr starting from the time I got in my truck until the job was completed. My questions is should I have started the clock when I arrived at his house?

2. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

nope, I think you did right. IMO

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that it would be better to charge a travel charge, and then charge the hourly once you arrive at his place

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I would have done what you did. I think you did just fine.

5. K.Carothers

Tiedeman, what do you charge for travel time? Is it a set fee no matter how long it takes?

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

usually yes its a set fee of $45 per trip, but usually I only have to go to one of three places with the farthest being only 12 miles away. And when I do have to travel I make sure it is not a lost cause just for ONE customer, but for many customers, or even for myself. For example, if I know I have to pick up something for a customer, but I might be low in stock with something, I pick that up at the same time because then that can save me a lost trip in the future. Most of my travel time takes only 12 to 15 mins.

7. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Yes.... you are.

8. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Most all construction company's (Horizontal, earth moving) charge an in-out fee. i.e. delivery of equipment and personal and removal. A friend of mine owns a ASV RC100 and Bull-hog. He charges $100.00 per hr with operator plus a in-out fee. my .02

Phil

9. K.Carothers

Are you saying I should have started the clock at his house?

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you did what you should have