Charges for leaf service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lewdo, Aug 8, 2006.

1. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

I never offered this service before but after buying a new zero turn with a nice big bagger thought I would give it a go at it...

I thought it would be better to charge by the bag than a flat rate.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, either by the bag or by the hour would work. Also a disposal fee as well. (dump etc)

3. Andersonlawnscape

Andersonlawnscape LawnSite Member

You could charge by the bag, I wouldn't recomend it, but you have to do what works for you. The way I do it is charge by the hour plus a removal fee if you take them. The removal fee covers all the expenses of taking the leaves off of the property, such as gas, dump fee and so on. Leavs are extremly hard to estimate at least they were for me. So the way I do it is just charge XX for the first hour and then YY for any hours after the first. Remember the first hour has to be more because of the removal fee. If you are confident that you can estimate the time to complete just give them a flat fee, but don't hurt yourself. Hope this helps

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

My favourite billing goes like this:

Leaf removal: $65 set up fee
    $33 disposal fee (I never make this fee an even number cuz I dump my leaves on a customers lawn who owns 13 acres)
    $15 per bag

I usually get atleast 4 bags and walk away with a minimum of $150 for 2 hours work.

5. tru turf

tru turf LawnSite Member

i charge a minimum of $120.00 an hour and i think that is low but thats me:waving:

6. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Thanks for tips. Sounds like the way to go is by the hour. Unfortunately for me, I don't think I could get $120 per hour down here. Thanks again!

7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Does that include disposal?

8. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Your hourly rate all depends on your efficiency. The final rate of the cleanup should be the same regardless. I don't have the capacity to haul off big amounts of leaves so I just curb them right before they get sucked up by the township. It's a win win for me!

9. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

how much do you guys charge per hr for a zturn w/ a attached bagger? I was thinking $60-65/hr mower, $45/hr for a guy w/ a blower, and $60 for removal fee w/ vac.

This is the 1st yr I'll have a big bagger for the zturn, how do it work w/ the leaves? How many visits do you guys aim for?

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I charge about $60/hr for grass and then by the bag for the bagger. For leaves though, you make a good point. Maybe I'll just charge $100-120/hr for leaves and not an addtional fee per bag. Last year it was a little sketchy with quotes. Most times, I made out really well. But there were a couple of lawns where I lost about $100. This year I think I'm just going to give an hourly rate, tell them there will be a disposal fee (If removed from site) and leave it at that. I'm not a real fan of fall clean-ups but it can be really good money!