1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Charging by lot size or lawn square footage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Feb 9, 2008.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

While looking for other pics I came accross a couple of examples of why, if you charge by lot size only, you're going to wind up with a lot of loser lawns or if you charge enough to handle those, your competition will beat your price on the easy ones. The "it all evens out in the end" approach will statistically lead to just that.

Say the two examples below were the same lot size, and contained the same amount of turf. Are you going to charge the same price?

The presence of a fenceline, massive obstacles, much more linear footage to edge, narrow areas a bigger mower can't reach, etc. and these aren't even in the same ballpark pricewise. The only way #1 could be worse was if it was a corner lot with a sidewalk in front.

2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Thats exactly why I walk the entire lawn before giving a price. I always add more on the price if there are a lot of obstacles. By the way, the first picture is typical of many of my lawns except mine are a little smaller. I am always hearing guys on here saying don't waste your time with anything smaller than a 48 inch mower etc. All the while, picturing these lawns in my head. I am guessing a lot of lco's just pass on the first lawn and just go after the 2nd lawn.
  3. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

I would get sooooo frustrated doing lawns like pic #1!! ...Regardless of a good price!!

There was one I did for a couple years that didn't have quite the number of obstacles, but the hilly terrain made up for those!! ...And there wasn't much choice but to use a 21" :( I charged $35 half of the first year, raised it to $40 for the remainder of the season and the following year, then said, "Nuts to this!!" and raised my price to $50.

Unfortunately, the couple did not want to put out that much each week, so needless to say, THEY are mowing their lawn now. Ain't no way I'm bustin' up my body on their pita when I can find less physically-draining accounts that pay the same!!

Oh, and by the way, I don't know how many times last summer I verbalized my sheer happiness that I no longer had to mow that property!! I don't miss it a bit!! ...And I wouldn't take it back now at any price!!
  4. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

we charge by the hour depends how long it takes 2 men to mow and trim based on $40. an hour including travel one way.