Charging by man hour or by Acre (square foot)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by holyshnikies, Feb 6, 2006.

1. holyshnikies

holyshnikies LawnSite Member
    from MO

i got a question if i had 3 days(8hrs) of work for a 2 man crew to bid on how many hours would i charge for

2. holyshnikies

from MO

i got a question if i had 3 days(8hrs) of work for a 2 man crew to bid on how many hours would i charge for

3. holyshnikies

from MO

A total of 24hrs or 48hrs

4. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

48 man-hours

5. holyshnikies

from MO

what do u guys think is a better bidding system

6. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

charge by the man hour, $30.00 x 48 hours = $1440.00
    If you are staying in one spot, like a cemetary or an apartment complex or a condominium complex that wouldnt be a bad price.

If you are mowing several different locations for a phone company, or gas stations that requires heavier fuel consumption and wear on your truck then I would bid at $35.00 an hour.

7. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

How much you charge depends on several factors, including the market in your area, your costs, etc.

You need to establish an hourly rate where you can pay all your costs (fuel, insurance, licenses if required, employees' wages, workers comp. if you have employees, depreciation on equipment, and so on), pay yourself a reasonable amount, and enough to set aside to grow your business.

Don't let anyone tell you you should charge $30 per hour, or $45 per hour, or $60 per hour, or any other figure per hour. It will depend on so many things that there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

For me, I decided that I'm going to charge $60 per hour when I'm using power equipment (anything with a motor), and $45 per hour when I'm doing hand work.

And NEVER, NEVER, EVER tell your customer what the hourly rate is. Usually they'll freak out and scream that they don't even pay a plumber that much. ALWAYS charge by the job. That way, you have an incentive to work faster, so you make more money per hour, and your customer knows exactly how much the job will cost and he won't accuse you of milking the hourly rate.

Hope this helps.