1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Charging by the cubic foot

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by newleaflandscape, Mar 31, 2005.

1. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing ponds for a while and I used to just put the flat out price on the estimate without breaking it down, since they are so hard to figure for materials and such. Anyways I figure I need to start breaking it down. So I was thinking of putting in the estimate cost of pond supplies like the liner etc, cost of materials like boulders and gravel and then just charging by the cubic foot for the labor. Was wondering if this is a good way to do it or if any of you have suggestions.
  2. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

i'm all for simplifying the estimation process, as long as you have done enough ponds to know what you need to charrge / sq ft.

Basically not too disimilar from what aquascape does. they pretty much figure on set labor figures for various size ponds.
  3. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

your base estimate should be by the square foot but let the customer know that depending on stone ease of excavation so on and so forth that it is just a base price and it can go up dramatically like pavers i have some at cost 1.73 to 45.00 cost. it just depends what your customer wants so sq foot is good but its not allways the best
  4. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Shouldn't I be charging by cubic foot though. Because if you just charge by square foot it doesnt really cover how deep the pond will be, since all of them are different depths.