Charging by the sq ft?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by agm, Nov 8, 2006.

1. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

Does any one charge to mow lawns by the sq ft? I have been doing alot of reisdentials but I am giving several commercial estimates that require that they have what I charge by the sq ft. I have never charged by the sq ft and don't even know where to start. Any help would be great!

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You run your company, Not the customer. Tell them you do not price by the foot as it is an incomplete method. You add all the time and work involved in the property and give a total price. The size of the grass may only be 1/2 the time anyway, 40 hours of work may be 15 mowing 15 trimming and 10 bed maintenance.

3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

per 1000 sq ft. but then you add in additions for lots of trimming or difficulty of mowing the property.

4. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I understand that it is my company and that I should charge the way I want to, but that was already brought up when they e-mailed me the bidding paperwork. I called them and explained to them that that was not the way I give estimates for this type of work and they said that is the only way they would accept the bid............was price by sq ft.

5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

somtimes im asked to bid sf on hardscape jobs.why dont you just figure youre price out as you normally would ,go measure it ,or yous the sopplied sf on the bid sheet,anddivide youre cost by sf.works well .

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

That's what I would do...just figure out the cut price then divide by the sqft to give them what they want to see. Simple.

7. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

Good idea! Thanks