Charging Extra for Mowing on Fridays

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpel2004, Jul 12, 2008.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lately, I have had several customers ask me if I could mow their lawns on Fridays, which got me thinking about giving our customers the option to have their lawn mowed on Fridays for an additional fee.

I think it would be a great way to increase our mowing profit margin. I wanted to get some feedback from the guys who have tried this before? Our route is fairly tight, so Windshield time isn't a factor.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

One problem, what happens if ALL your client's want their lawn cut on Friday? Can you do all your customers in one day?

3. cpel2004

No you keep increasing the price until you find your spot, just like you would when you bid properties. Its a premium service and it would be charged accordingly. Some people will appreciate the value and some will not, its their choice.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Justmowit guys are doing that in our area....about $3 difference.

5. cpel2004

Ed have you tried it, I think if you have a tight right it could work.

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Most customers won't give a rats what day their lawn is cut so long as it done before the weekend. While you have "several customers" asking, get back with us after you tell them theirs a fee for this service. Some will pay others will drop the request, not worth the hassle once they know it's a extra fee, and their most likely not going to pay a substantial amount either for this "friday" service.

7. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

If they are willing to pay, Sure. Everybody has their price.

8. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I reserve Thursdays and Fridays for my long standing clients. Everybody wants their lawn cut for the weekend, it just can't happen. I had one that I mowed on Mondays they wanted their lawn cut on Thurs-Fri. I obliged then I realized they were always out of town on the weekends, it wasn't long after that they were back on Mondays. besides, Monday is close to the weekend. Think about it! lol

9. Rubicon20

Rubicon20 LawnSite Member

I would not charge and more its still part of the work week i could see chargeing more on like saturday or sunday

10. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

But that defeats the whole purpose. People want the lawn looking freshly cut for the weekend so they can invite company over, or swim in their pool with a nice lawn in the background etc...

Cutting it -on- the weekend may interrupt their quiet time, alone time, or relaxation time. I always apologize for cutting on the weekend if the customer is home. I know I wouldnt want to hear a mower at 9am on a Saturday when I'm trying to watch my School House Rock!