1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Charging for credit cards?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grassmasterswilson, Jun 26, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Is it ok to charge for credit cards now? I'm in North Carolina and I'm seeing a ton of gas stations changing their signs to show a cash and credit price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I *think* it's actually illegal to charge more depending on type of payment, however you can give a "cash" discount.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I give them an option of a cash/check price or pay by credit card w/ 3% charge on top.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Visa and Master Card, per their contracts do no allow you to charge a different fee(surcharge) if you accept their credit cards. However, they can't stop the merchant for giving a discount for using cash. This is how gas stations ect.. get around this clause when you accept c c.

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

That rule was recently changed. you CAN add a charge for the use of a credit card now.

6. zacher

zacher LawnSite Member

Same here. Except when you add 3% they charge more away from your card...If you catch what I am saying but not more where it would make a difference.

7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member