1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Charging for double cut???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Advanced lawn service, May 24, 2007.

1. Advanced lawn service

Advanced lawn service LawnSite Member

How do you charge for double cutting a yard? Some people double the price some are one and a half. With the weather here in Michigan and all the rain we have been getting the grass is out of control, We are spending a lot more time on the lawn, and losing money. Looking for help on how I can tell the home owner I have to charge for double cutting or blowing the lawn.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I rarely have to but if I do, I charge a half-extra. Remember, you're not double trimming, edging, and blowing, just mowing.:)
  3. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I would give them the option of either cutting more often, or perhaps adding an extra 20% to the end of each month's bill as a "clean-up" fee.

I don't know about you, but for me, double cutting doesn't take that much more time since I don't have to outline the yard, and I can run over it full speed since all the grass is already cut down. If there's really a lot of it, I just run around in circles until most of it disappears, then go over the entire yard in another direction. I just deal with it until it slows down, but I don't do this full time, either, so I have the extra time to spare. It as annoying though, that's for sure.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Its called double cutting for a reason:hammerhead:
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We add 25% per time we have to do it...that or get someone else to mow for you, simple.
  6. I just mow every 4-5 days in the spring.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Good morning Mr Rodfather:waving:
  8. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge them twice as much,depending if they want a majority of the grass removed and raked or blow in a pile. Ive had to charge people as high as 4 cuts, i mean almost 3 ft of grass.
  9. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I charge one price for weekly mowing. If I have to double cut to make it look good, I don't charge them more.

I also don't charge them less when I go over it in late July and I'm just kicking up dust.

Naturally, if it's a new customer with two weeks or more growth, I would charge more.