charging for double, triple cuts, etc..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AintNoFun, Nov 20, 2005.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

just curious if any of you guys have something like this in a contract/agreement. if we triple cut your lawn it will be 10,20,30% more for that cut or whatever it may be.. just going over some profits/losses on a few big customers and im really getting sick of having a crew of 3 or 4 there 30 mins longer cuz they wanna water and fertilize every day.. just curious if anyones done something like this and how its worked...
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that you will have a hard time justifying your 30% increase if tripled cut. Maybe more like a 10 to 15% increase. I can understand if you are bagging it and charging that much though
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

For a weekly lawn good luck charging more for a double or triple cut, if its every other week, then they deserve to be charged more
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Jpocket not much chance on getting more on weekly but on biweekly we usually convince then to go weekly. As the mowers get bigger it don't really take much longer. However most of our yards are very small so it you are talking about an acre that is another matter.
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually tell the customer we need to cut the property once a week to keep it looking nice. We will not usually need to go over the whole lawn again just a few places. If the lawn is maintained once a week, most customer are not going to want to pay more if it takes longer.
  6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we have a lot of customers 3/4 to an acre that have no concept of anything. they water in the morning and the evening. have fert. companies doing 7+ steps with 800-0-0 fertilizer. some lawns grow 4+ inches a week of THICK grass. they get pissed if they find a clump. we call tell them to slow down on the water, fert, etc. they never do. i mean ive watched my guys cut grass where the lawn is so wet the waters coming off the rear tires like they had paddles on them. the only reason why i would keep them is because usually everytime one of my crews drops the gate there doing at least 2 others on the same block.. but i guess im just venting about p.i.t.a. customers.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge for double cuts, only one complaint in the past 3 years.
  8. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I realize customers aren't always reasonable or predictable or logical but if they are spending all that money on fert and water, why would they care if you charge a little more? Seems that if price IS the subject that they would cut back on the water and fert. Why would they be willing to put out that much money to make the lawn grow and look good and then have a problem putting out bucks for the maintenance of that good look?
    I've used this argument with 2 different clients and 1 agreed to save the money and cut back on the water and fert. The other just agreed to the 30% increase.
    Don't really know how customers in your area would react though. Seems attitudes are so much different in the south and east.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I found a great way to deal with the fertilizer freaks. Hack it down and leave. If they quit, good. If they don't, good. Try to understand, it's not the customers fault. They're just trying to keep up with the neighbors. They see that lush,dark green lawn and go OOOOOH, I WANT THAT! The lawn looks good, the chemical company is doing a good job. The lawn looks like cr@p after it's cut, the lawn service sucks. They don't know. These are usually monied college educated types which means they have no clue about things mechanical or living. Most of my app. customers are also mowing customers. I definitely try to strike a balance between the two. The few that cut themselves would shoot me if I made the grass grow 1" a day.
  10. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand how you guys can do more work, for the same price. If you have to mow the lawn 2 or 3 times, don't you think you should get paid for it?