Charging for estimates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Oct 27, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've decided I'm going to start charging for estimates. $30. Everyone else does it.

If you go to the mechanic, he puts the scan tool on, gets the codes, if they don't fix the problem, they charge you $50.

My parents had a plumber come over and fix a leaky pipe that they couldn't do themselves. The plumber charged $82 trip charge, $15 for the part, and $85 for an hour of labor. He was there for 15 minutes and my dad had to go get 2 wrenches from the garage that he didn't have.

It's getting rediculous. I'll have to build it into the price somehow if I get the job. However, from now on, if I get a call for service, I'm pretty good at knowing the area that I service and can ballpark it, but if they want a hardcopy estimate, it's going to be $30 for me to drive there and talk.

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Charging for estimates is good if you use it properly. I like to tell someone on the phone (who sounds sketchy) that I charge a $40.00 fee for a site analysis. That will include a 14 point inspection of the property, drainage, and soil conditions. Now, if they have me do work, I will deduct that fee from their bill. This is also stated on the "Site Inspection" bill.

This gets rid of a lot of "tire kickers", but sometimes you can pre-screen yourself out of a good job, so use it wisely. If the prospect sounds like a "biter" it may be wise to exclude that part of your service fees.