1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Charging for gas prices

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by stumpslawncare, Apr 20, 2006.

1. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

Which way is the best way to charge for the rising gas prices? Should I just charge more on the bill or should I put it under a gas surcharge seperately. Which way would the customer be more receptive.:usflag:
  2. Burch's Lawn Care  LLC

Burch's Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

id use a fuel surcharge on your invoice, and charge by the mile.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My prices are what they are, nothing's ever mentioned of fuel... If there's an extra 5 dollars in there, then it's in there but it is just part of the total and not 'in addition'.
  4. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

would you need to write a letter telling client about increase or do you just add it in? Seems like if you put a 5.00 gas surcharge or whatever on the invoice would be better than just adding it in without mention. Not sure though, ive never done that but I have been thinking about it.
  5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

When I sent out my contracts last year and this year I added a sliding fuel sucharge to the contract no one even questioned it. With the rising gas already the first cuts this year will already have the first level surcharge on it.
  6. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

I just added 5bucks per client. But I do tell them. Remember they need use!:clapping:
  7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

IF anyone added a $5 fuel surcharge on my lawn i would fire them instantly unless i have a tremendous property how can you say u are going thorugh almost 2 gallons of gas on one property (im not talking about commercials or lawns that take 2 hours to cut)

guess it all depends on the house size but here every lawn is about a $20-25 lawn and in an out in 15 min at most so we barely use much gas
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

IMO if you are going to add a fuel charge you need to let the customer know about it up front.It would not go over very well with a lot of people if they just open there bill and see an extra charge without warning.
  9. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

its not only about the gas used ON the lawn, but the gas used TO GET THERE, too.
  10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

thanks chief i thought everyone on the site uses horses to tow there mowers... i obviously know it includes gas in the trucks... If you are traveling far for accounts they should be high enough paying that you are traveling and shouldnt have to charge a surcharge