Charging for job or per hour???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GalLovesPlantingFlowers, Feb 12, 2008.

1. GalLovesPlantingFlowers

GalLovesPlantingFlowers LawnSite Member

Hello! :waving: I love planting flowers & bulbs, especially my own garden, after I am all done I wish I had more gardens to plant in. So the idea crossed my mind to start a little part time job on the side to plant flowers for the elderly who are not physically able to do so and for the average homeowner that would love to plant but does not have the time. They would supply everything, I would just do the planting. I am planning on printing up postcards or flyers and pass them out to local neighborhoods. My biggest question is how to price? Should I price by job or by hour? I am totally clueless. Thank you in advance.:usflag:

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

the only things i charge by the hour for is digging..... here in the glacial valley this can get ugly, that and if i'm subcontracted, or working for people that constantly can't make up their minds...

put that bed here... no wait put it here... forget those round corners, i want a raised bed made of landscaping timbers... no wait wrap the timbers in copper...

lucky most of my customers are great now and after we agree on something they mostly won't even look at the project untill its done... i kind of dislike supervisors, but spectators are cool

Nate

3. knothead

knothead LawnSite Member

Figure what u need to make per hour then multiply by how long the job will take!

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this would be wonderfull work, and getting paid by the hour, you would NOT be subject to having your own insurance, you could be considered as contract labor, and be resposable for your own taxes,

If you already have your own insurance this would be a waste of money.

Good luck

5. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

My wife does this as one of our services. She charges time and material. $40 an hour, minimum 1 hour. If she buys the material she adds 20 to 35% mark up. That's in the Midwest though and there is'nt any overhead.

6. GalLovesPlantingFlowers

GalLovesPlantingFlowers LawnSite Member

Thank you everyone for all your tips.:)

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Planting flowers and bulbs is easy digging, just down a little bit. If you never kept track yourself, next time you plant, time yourself and come up with how long it takes to do one flower, one bulb. Then come up with a charge per flower or bulb.

Most elderly people really hate the open ended per hour charging. If you can quote a fixed price it would go over much better.

8. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

Planting flowers and bulbs is easy digging, just down a little bit. If you never kept track yourself, next time you plant, time yourself and come up with how long it takes to do one flower, one bulb. Then come up with a charge per flower or bulb.

if you ever come to ny i'm going to sub all my flowerbeds and gardenbeds to you

lol

Nate