Charging for Leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

How do you charge?

Per hour or by the job?

Leaves are a nightmare. I did a mulching job yesterday and it took me two and a half hours and the old crow would only pay what I charge her to mow. I guess I screwed up royally there. Oh well, you live and learn!!

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell my customers reg lawn maint is till oct 15. After that its mow on as needed or leaf clean up and the fee is more. tell them in advance so you dont get burned or they get pi---- off. i charge by the hr in my head but tell them a flat fee. anyware from 45-60 per hr per man. depending on the lawn. wet, hills remove leaves from prop, blow in woods tarp. Get the picture?

3. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

Did you tell her to pay you what you charge for mowing beforehand? Most of my leave jobs are in the $70-$140 range, I try to average $35/hr. Thats just the going rate in my area.

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Did you can her as a client?

Mike

5. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Anything other than mowing is charged by the hour! Leafs, trimming, etc.. you really cannot tell exactly how long it will take until you get started. We charge $100 per hour (3 men & debris haul off) with a 1 hour minimum. We started the minimum, since so many customers had that crew trimming a small hedge that took 15 minutes! It costs more than that to send our truck to a specific address for just 1 job!

The other problem we face is the drive time in our service area, we have 11 crews but only 1 crew that trims bushes, cleans beds, plants, etc....So, that crew does a lot of driving, we only schedule 7 stops a day on that crew.The other issue is that our Labor manager is the driver of that crew, so he has to stop & talk to the office & crew drivers several times a day!