Charging for "no cuts" after seeding ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I'm going to start seeding in about 2 weeks and wonder what you guys do when you seed one of your monthly regulars and you skip one or two weeks of mowing until the grass gets going. I know I'll be checking on the yards weekly and I'll probably clean and blow while I'm there. Do you go ahead and charge the regular monthly amount or do you prorate it ? Thanks.

2. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

the company policy that i use is, we don't don't cut, we don't charge, how ever if we show up and do anything at all, we do charge, but only a portion of the cut.
    if we blow out the lawn, or the drive, we may charge $5.00 or if we inspect the growth, we may charge $7.00

3. powerreel

powerreel Banned

You better learn how to bill in all unexpecteds, and you better learn it fast or you will sink. You may not mow for 2 weeks on a ground zero...( if you did a major rene ) a light seeding.....you can most likely mulch unless your seeds are @ 2-3 leaves, then bag. As you bid jobs you need to remember to keep in mind that not everything goes to plan- and that the season goes on forever- NOT!!! Gotta have a plan....... ;)

4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Stop in and check on the yard weekly and set up other jobs to fill in time instead of mowing.If you didnt set up a contract mowing then it would be very unfair to charge.

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty much all of my customer are in a contract and I charge'em 10 monthly payment even if I skip'em once or twice a month
    I do this because when the grass grows I have to double cut sometimes and I don't charge for.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If they are a contract customer just adjust their bid on the aeration and seeding.

7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

8. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be cracking on you, but it's not a good sign that you don't know your own agreement with your clients, this is pretty basic stuff. You should know before you accept a new client (or they accept you) ALL the details about the services you provide and don't provide, along with the associated cost of the services.

This is (I assume) at least your second year in business, so what ever you got away with last year ought to work...

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the way top go. Instead of messing up your montly billing system, let them know you made up for the missed cut in the aeration/overseeding price you gave them.

Good Luck!