Charging for soil Samples

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Care 101, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Turf Care 101

Turf Care 101 LawnSite Member

Do most of you guys charge for soil samples? Gonna start taking more samples this year then previous years and i thought that that could start to get pretty pricy. What do you think?

2. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

I can go to lesco and get it done for $15, so if the customer is interested in a full program or I need it to get them to sign, then yes, I throw it in. If they're a tire kicker or want an app or two, no.

3. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I do free soil samples for all customers, its included in their program price. Our lesco charges $29, but our Department of Agriculture does it for $7.50

4. same here...tell them it's included in my service, they have no choice...I include my cost, plus time

5. Turf Care 101

Turf Care 101 LawnSite Member

My lesco charges $17.50 I was going to charge for the "problem lawns". Thanks for the input.

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there something wrong with using the electric meters they sell at Home Depot. We sub out all our fert work because of other efforts, but we do the soil test with an electric meter as a norm and figured that was satisfactory unless there were visible problems?

7. LushGreenLawn

What in the world are you talking about?

8. Team-Green L&L

I'm talking about an electronic soil tester made by Perry Morse Seed Company and sold at any Home Depot for around $20.00. It has a Ph Analysis and Fertilizer Analysis setting and runs on 1 AA battery.

IMG00761.jpg

9. LushGreenLawn

I did not know that they made something like this. Does it detect the levels for N-P-K?

10. Team-Green L&L

It does test N-P-K levels and also reads with a "good" / "high" / and "low" dummy scale.
    See above. I just took a pic. The top meter is N-K-P and the bottom is "fertility".