Charging new customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GrassQuester, Jun 28, 2006.

1. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

I have a possible client, who is not happy with his current service and wants a quote, do you think it is unprofessional to ask him how much the previous lawn guy charged before I give him my quote?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Does it really matter what the other guy is getting??? It should be about what YOU need to make...not the other guy...

3. GrassQuester

Ya anyway my question was is it unprofessional.

4. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

Ok, next time you drop the kids off at the pool, take a long hard thought to what you need to cut this guys lawn every week for the rest of the season. How much gas, a mower, a trimmer, a blower, etc. this can grow into your overhead. Base your prices off of what it will take for you to not only maintain operations, but make a profit. In the beginning you may lose a customer due to a high bid, and you may get a customer due to a low bid, and get stuck with them. Get to know your needs before you can effectively take care of others.

5. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

the last few estimates i gave i tryed somethin different lol
    i asked who there lawncare company was first, i told them what they were paying $50 and that i would be 5 bucks more but more than worth it
    havent been wrong once but i know my area and lco,s

i dont think its a big deal to ask sometimes you get lucky and the guy b4 you was way overpriced so you can lower it match it whatever
    i always tell the customers ill may not match every othe company but by far im #1 in reliability and quality

6. Rob Dob

Rob Dob LawnSite Member

Unprofessional - Yes, I believe so. Bid it to where you feel comfortable and bump it up another $10 to $15 dollars because it sounds like this guy is either a picky customer or the other company sucks. If he is looking for another LCO, he will more than likely pay more for better quality service.

7. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I often deal with professional (doctors, lawyers, business owners) homeowner's who are shopping for dependability more than price. They don't mind letting me know their budget for maintenance or their last lco's price.. I can use the last guys price as the reason they did not get what they needed (they obviously did not get it or why look for new lco) and after I do a site assessment I let them know what I can do within their budget and for an additional $ amount what else can be done. As we discuss their needs we arrive at my price to provide the service they desire. I do not mow and go. I cannot remember the last time I under bid the previous lco. I have been at it a loooooong time though so I could have forgotten.:laugh: :laugh:

I love my high paying customers. They spice up life. They are demanding, but worth every demanding $$$$$. :weightlifter:

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

No, it is not unprofessional.

Ask him why he is unsatisfied with his current service - this would include the price. You have to know what the problem is before you can fix it. Once you know his situation, try to come up with a plan that is satisfactory to both of you.

Just make sure that before you go into this that you have your base price firmly fixed for your minimum service. If he wants the custom deluxe service then he has to pay the custom deluxe price as well.

9. GrassQuester

Talked to him he said the other lco charged under $200 I told him $160 :)

10. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i kinda ask the same thing, also over the phone before i go look at a job i ask, before i waste my time and their time, i tell them my min. over the phone when i feel that they are just shopping, like the ones that say to you cant you just give me a price over the phone? or they say i have a very small yard !! yeah right!!! the reason why i started to do this is because too many people were a waste of my time, they were thinking of the kid down the street with a push mower for $5 also had a factory call for a bid, they told me after i was their for almost two hours , that they really dont want to hire, they are happy with the guy they have but they wanted a bid to see if they can get this guy to lower his price!!