1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

charging sales tax

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jungerla, May 4, 2013.

1. jungerla

jungerla LawnSite Member

when bidding a new job do you find it better to lump the sales tax in and give them 1 price or go for what you want to bid and then explain you have to charge tax so it will be bid price + tax.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

Check your state law, in most state it must be a separate line item.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jungerla

jungerla LawnSite Member

Never thought of that I mean I guess I do it separate on my books just sometimes I feel like people want to hear one all inclusive price
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Need to list price then plus tax.

5. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

PA law says lawn mowing and anything you do to a lawn is taxable. For my customers, I give them a price and tell them plus tax. Most are shocked because the last guy didn't charge the tax. The last guy didn't have a license either. I have had to show a couple customers the revenue code.

6. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

I figure all my prices including taxes if that is what you are asking, my invoices will include a base price + my state tax rate which brings it to the agreed on price.

7. fatz

fatz LawnSite Member

I always give the customer the price and tell them plus tax. Some are shocked, some aren't.

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Give the price and say plus sales tax.