charging system with electric pto?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by seymour_glass, Apr 13, 2005.

1. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

Hi. I have a ferris w/b with a "yellow pull-up" type clutch. I thought it was called an electric pto, and it started the blades with magnets or something like that. (don't laugh, i'm stupid)

Now, last fall I bought an older scag w/b in need of a new engine. It's got a manual clutch. Now I'm pretty damn sure that, because of that, I don't need an engine with a charging system, so I went ahead and ordered one without. But I'm confused, because, as far as I know, my ferris doesn't have a charging system, but I was pretty sure that it does have an electric clutch!

So what the hell is a charging system, and how does it that all work with different kinds of clutches?
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Its using a magneta to provide electricity. All engines will have it, they supply the electricty for the coils to make a spark for the spark plugs
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

grass cuttin fool is correct, you need it to supply electricity to the spark plug. even my trimmers have it and they have a centrafugal clutch.
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure where I got this, Briggs web site maybe. It may help.

5. seymour_glass

thanks guys for answering my question
  6. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

TClawn, grass cuttin fool, and seymour grass are need 'juice' on all the engines, and it's standard-built in.
    fixer67...nice illustration

A recoil start w/o electric PTO wouldn't need a 'charging system'.

To run powered accessories like, electric start, and especially an electric clutch (PTO).....more 'juice' is needed, and that's where a additional charging system is needed which may optional on some engine models.
  7. seymour_glass

That actually really clarrified things better than anything, thanks mower man.

Thanks again everybody