charging throughout the year....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cz lawn care, Feb 11, 2008.

1. cz lawn care

cz lawn care LawnSite Member

I have had my business for just over a year....I have accumulated around 25 accounts but, made the mistake of telling them that during the winter I would raise the price alittle bit for each cut but, they could just call when they needed it done...now that its winter im finding it very hard because there is hardly any income. How do you present it to your customes that this will be a yearly thing even during the winter months without losing them? Any help would be appreciated...:confused:

Thanks in advance

2. DISTURBEDSMR

DISTURBEDSMR LawnSite Member

You should have started it in the beginning a monlthly cost that is consistent through the winter. The problem now is did they go with you because of the cheaper price because before they were paying the monthly price year round. Never tell a customer to call when it needs to be cut I picked up a new account last week because the old lawn guy did that people don't want to be bothered with their thats why they pay you

3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I did the same thing with my customers. One of them actually called late Januaury saying she needed everything cleaned up. So this year, I will be chargeing the same price and giving a visit in december, and a visit in january. Both will be leaf cleanup. If they dont need leaf cleanup, ill just cut to keep the clovers down, then trim shrubs and kill time.
    Two visits on off season may not seem like alot, but if you have 25 accounts at $35.00, thats $875 for the months of december and january. It will also help keep a relationship base and they wont forget about you.
    Just my $.02

4. cz lawn care

thanks for the help so far...

5. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i'd say plow snow.. but thats not going to work for you..

perhaps you can find a niche market for the winter months....or try to upsell some plantings...window washing, gutter cleaning....you know the fla market better then me...

Up here either they get plowed out or they are snowbirds and they leave for fla or both.... I find a few things to keep myself buzy and spend a bunch of time preparing for our short season, playing with the kids and typing here

Nate

6. cz lawn care

yep no snow here....lol

7. cz lawn care

anyone have any other opinions?

8. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Why didnt you just tell them year round service is 2 cuts a month in the winter and 4 cuts a month in the summer. Comes out to about 39 cuts a year. And charge them the same price all year round? This is what seems to be the norm in FL.

9. lawn&orderinc

lawn&orderinc LawnSite Member

yea i get same amount every month year round! sometimes in fla there is no winter and the grass just never really slows to a stop unless its bahia

10. lawn&orderinc

lawn&orderinc LawnSite Member

by the way where is springhill!!