Charging too little for organic?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by lawncuttinfoo, Mar 8, 2009.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

that's so funny..... IT is what it is..............

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

To each his own or her

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Hay bay,
    I agree completely on this point. It is very hard to cost justify the use of Corn Gluten meal when comparing to synthetic like dimension or ronstar, literally 10 times the cost

Its application is when you are on a completely organic program or the use of pesticides has been taken away as a tool. many cities and counties all over the US and Canada are restricting or banning altogether the use of pesticides. The first place the ban typically goes into effect is kindergarden thru 12 grade schools and there fields, good for them !
    The pre-m capability of CGM has been well documented by iowa state university

Instant Compost Tea, is registered as a fertilizer in most states $ 0.67 per 1000 sq ft or $30.00 per acre

1-2-3 Tree, soil amendment for periennials, shrubs and trees, $0.20 per DBH or foot of shrub

1-2-3 Hydroseed, for overseeding and hydroseeding $0.002 per sq ft or $9.31 per acre or adding to the end of CT brewing for known beneficials

1-2-3 NPP, hydrolyzes (turns it to water) fungi on contact, made from crab shells, $0.58 per 1000 sq ft.

I would say those are some vey cost effective solutions for lawn and landscape

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I like to dump mine on in the fall and let the winter rains move the OM deeper into the soil profile.

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

???????????? :laugh:

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

We've lost a few small to medium sized residentials this winter, but have picked up a handsome three-year municipal contract that'll makes up most of the difference.

No...the profit's no where near the same, but the opportunity to have tremendous amounts of exposure time in and around the busier parts of town will more than make up for it, marketing wise, in the long run.

7. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I hope i did not hijack this thread with my questions . I do appreciate the replys.

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Not a bad per acre price, assuming the overall effectiveness is comparable to the 60% corn gluten sold locally.

We've gotten to the point now in the lion's share of the repeat customers lawns that we just use CGM around hard surface perimeters like sidewalk edges.
    We live and breathe to our customers & prospects the philosophy of crowding out potential weed problems, with the gradual construction of dense, healthy turf.

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Our winter 'rains' are starting to soak in right about now. At the bottom of the hollows. :laugh:

10. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Marcos
    You make an excellent post

Rather than covering the entire property with CGH you can go after the typical areas that will promote weeds. sidewalks and driveways that are edged, disturbanaces where there are open soil areas

If you are covering 4.5 acres with the application we have a 10% discount. This is what we call a small pallet (48 gallons packed 4 to a carton), it more than covers the freight