1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chariot Jr.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danlawnser, Apr 9, 2001.

1. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone own the Great Dane Chariot Jr? How do they do on hills? Have you had many problems with them? Thanks for the help.
  2. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

I have a Chariot and it does real good on hills I know the Chariot jr is lighter but it still should hold up good on a hill

3. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a chariot and have borrowed a Jr. Didnt like it at all.
    The cut was good but the ride was awful. Rough little critter.

For the money a full size chariot is the way to go. Only a couple hundred more.

4. 1145JohnDeere

1145JohnDeere LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have a full size Chariot. Hills are impossible but the least of problems. In plush grass the clippings will not exhaust but will pile up inside the deck and come out in BIG clumps all at once. The Chariot does not have a gas guage (why on a $7000 plus mower I do noy know). This is no problem if you remember when you filled the tank last, but the help gets in a hurry sometimes and forgets. It then becomes a problem when they have to walk 1/4 mile to the truck for the gas can. Also, in dry grass the grass will blow out from the front of the deck into your eyes.
  5. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

Yea the grass does blow up in your face but you can knock out a lot of grass with it.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sounds like:

1) If grass is "clumping" you need to make sure blades are sharp, underside of deck is clean, or too much grass is being mowed at one time. Try high lift blades and/or gator blades. I rarely have that problem and I cut mostly "plush" grass.

2) Gas...oh well, paying better attention will be the only fix for that, that's happened to me also. :(

3) With dry grass try different blades, I use gators in dry conditions.

As for the Jr., I agree with Jim, buy the regular, has wider wheel base and mine does just fine on hills, I'm not so sure the Jr. would do that great.