Charity,etc.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Jan 25, 2005.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hey all,

I was just thinking I want to do more for my cummunity and common good. I need some ideas.

What kind of charities do you donate to? What do you do to serve your community?

I donate annually to the Make-a-Wish foundation, but I want to get some more ideas about other charities.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I serve the common good by driving the speed limit, not running red lights and stopping at ALL railroad crossings.

Seriously, I've started keeping my eye out for "hard luck" families that I could help with my services, like there was a family around here last summer, the mother was critically injured in a car accident, her 2-year old died, Dad's spending all his time between raising other kid, going back and forth to the hospital and stressing over the huge medical bills. Someone had set up a website to help them, I contacted them about doing some free lawnwork, but they already had someone.

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I just moved to this neighborhood and started a landscape committe. Several volunteers come together on sharing ideas on what to plant around the neighborhood and how to maintain it. We also do clean-ups here and there. A morning working with your neighbors and making the place look good leaves you with a great feeling for the rest of the day.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

The past two years I have given donations to a DFW mertoplex foundation that helps the families of fallen firefighters and police officers who were hurt or killed in the line of duty. I was turned on to this foundation by the guy who runs it who happens to be the afternoon talk show host on a talk radio station here in the DFW area. I have been thinking about offering my services as a form of charity but I havent found the best way to go about it as of yet in my area.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm also the head of the landscape committee at my son's school. So far it's an easy gig, the school is in the midst of a major renovation/expansion, the principal told me not to plan anything until its done (in about 2 years or so...)

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love Make a Wish!
    what a great organization, there is also, angels wings or wings of angels something like that, also another place i always think of and have always thought highly of is your nearest hospital burn unit. these units never receive the publicity or public contributions they so much deserve, and you never ever know when you or someone you love may need them. :D

7. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well, the things I do is I have mowed the lawn of a firefighter on my department while he was serving in teh National Guard in Afghanistan for a one-year tour, for a very, very reduced rate. I also have done alot of free mulch work at our two fire stations. :angel:

I have been contributing to the Make-a-Wish foundation for several years now, however this past fall we lost our 8-year year old nextdoor neighbor to a brain tumor. It was very sad. The summer before her passing, Make-a-Wish sent her and her family to Disney World. I thought that was so kind and generous. :D It just gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling inside. :cool2: