Charoit - Hydro Oil change

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by smmtns, Mar 10, 2003.

1. smmtns

smmtns LawnSite Member

I will be changing the hydro oil for the first time, soon. The instructions in the operators manual basically drains the reservoir since the pumps and wheel motors are lower. My concern is about the oil remaing in the wheel motors and pumps. This doesn't seem to be very thorough. Comments????

2. Bill Baltzer

Bill Baltzer Great Dane Representative
    from NC

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. Below is the answer from our service department:

I teach, in the service schools, that further draining of the system ( motors, pump and lines contain about 1.5 Quarts) would expose the system to more contamination than benefit from removing the oil. In other words....do not do it! Should an individual insist on doing this he must drain the oil as originally suggested, refill the reservoir and filter and run the mower for 1 to 8 hours then perform the reservoir drain and filter change again. This should dilute the original oil to the point it has no effect.
    This is very similar to the transmission oil change in a car, one cannot change the oil in the torque converter when draining the sump but additional changes dilute the original oil.

3. smmtns

smmtns LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I have another question. The operators manual says change hydro fluid and filter annually. How many hours is based on.
    This is just one persons opinion. If forum is to be successful a more timely response is needed. Exmark responds within 24 hours.

4. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

SMMTMS:

The average hours racked-up on a mid-mount can vary from region to region. The hydro oil should be changed every 1000 hours after the initial break-in change.

Sorry for not responding within 24-hours. This forum is very important to our company. We will make every effort to respond to users questions in a timely fashion.

Thank You

JMJ