Chartiy work has anyone ever done this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Feb 26, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Charity work any takes on this?

Our company this year is able to do a little charity work for a child that has kiddney failure. We offered 3 lawn care packages for free (one mow, string trim, edging and clean up) but has anyone done this and have it come back to bite them in the a**?

2. ztrx

ztrx LawnSite Member

Yep- I did charity mowing for a food bank and church. It was a good gig however I did crash out my deck spindle on a football sized rock in tall grass, also lawn mantenance can turn into irrigation,landscaping,painting, plumbing,electrical,and any other thing that they need. Just do what your comfortable with and keep an open line of communication with your client. There will never be enough volunteers such as yourself to help the needy.Count your blessings and be happy that your healthy and do as much charity work as you can handle.
    Nick
    ZTRxchange.com

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to do a little work for a client that has started a Little League division. He just wants me to go down from time to time and edge the grass, tidy things up, etc. The local community college that owns the field will handle the mowing and the kids will do a lot of the manual labor.

It think it's cool. Nothing wrong with a little civic duty. Hell, everyone should be more involved in their community.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Thank guys its nice to know that there are still good people out there that are willing to do something for someone else. And yes count your blessings that you are healthy, you could be pennyless, jobless and homeless but if you have health you can have anything.

5. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I help mow at my church every monday and keep that looking nice. Also, I have an elderly lady who I charge SINGNIFICANTLY less than other customers. Its not always bout making the money, helping people out seems a lot more rewarding to me.

6. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

This past year me and my bddy mowed lawns for a straight day accepting donations for a cancer program called relay for life . I think we raised over 500 dollers which is great. I also routinely help out others that could use a hand , not quite charity but everyone sometimes needs a helping hand.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup the last two years I have done a church for free, and last year I did the local schools football field for a little while. I am supposed to do the football field again this year under different circumstances though, basically the coach has guaranteed me it

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

There are lots of oppurtunities to give back to your community and your clients. I agree with all of you - one should not always be on the receiving end. We delivered meals on wheels during winter.

9. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

My mom does in home care for elderly people and people with disabilities. One of her clients lost everything from the waist down to an infection because surgeons dropped a tool they were using on the floor and then proceeded to use it on him. His wife is bed ridden and they do not have any extra money to spend on a lawn service. I go over there every two three weeks and just mow the lawn quickly. They are thrilled when I am done, seeing that and knowing that I was able to help them out is worth far more than getting paid.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Myself and another LCO in my area are doing a couple of lawns for some elderly people that don't have the means to pay for lawn care and are unable to do it themselves. These people were referred to me by a local sheriff's deputy and he asked if I could or would take care of it. After learning of the circumstances of these senior's I gladly accepted the jobs for free and have no regrets. Another LCO in my area heard about it and he asked if I could use some help on the jobs and now we take turns mowing and trimming the shrubs. There are other rewards in life that don't have anything to do with money.