1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chassis for my Switch-n-Go project

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ConstSvcs, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Made the trek to Florida for a chassis that I purchased. The 12 foot Switch-n-Go hoist is being shipped to me. We are removing the fifth wheel body that came with the truck and preparing the chassis for the rest. I've been searching for a short wheel base and finally found it.

It has a six speed and engine brake. Seems like it will have plenty of power to pull my trailer and skid or mini-exc.

2. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a clean unit. How many miles?

JLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I just bought a switch n go great system GGOD LUCK
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have an FRR that I haul my skid and dingo with. It is a beast. Stops great even w/ 12k on the bed. Has pretty decent power if you keep the turbo spooled. How many miles? What did you give?
  5. ConstSvcs

As far as miles......it has 82,421 :) The engine brake is great. The truck was owner by a trucker who pulled his camper with it and used it to drive to work. It's never seen any work. It has a Power Shot 2000 propane booster which is amazing! It's turbo boost actuated once you set it to "on" and increases the torque by 150+ ftlbs and HP by 50 at the setting he has tuned it to. It's like riding in the Batmobile with a fishbowl for a windshield:) NO additional stress is placed on the engine because the propane causes a more efficient burn of the fuel with no increase in combustion pressure or temps.

Sad thing for me is......I'm removing it. I have no place for relocating the tank (currently behind the cab) and won't be making any long hauls. The standard engine power is enough for my needs.

I decided to give the system to the employee who mad the long trip with me.

He's hyped at at the change to attach it to his Dodge Cummins turbo :dancing:

I paid $16,500 I thought it was fair and in line with the condition of the truck. I'll be at 30,000.00 after I install the hoist, bumper, fenders and one medium container.

I couldn't find one locally that was owner operator and a short wheelbase. Those 166" wheelbase chassis are easy to overload with a can and 19,500# GVW.

I'll keep you posted with more pics.
  6. ConstSvcs

Here's an image of the back just after we picked up the truck. That's the proud new owner of the Power Shot system eating his chips.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think that is a fair deal. That is about what I paid for mine this past summer. Good call on taking the propane off. That would make me nervous on an isuzu engine. My buddy just blew his motor in his frr at 200k.

I am really interested in seeing pictures of how your truck turns out. Why did you want a short chassis? For hauling a trailer?

I have thought about doing this to my truck... I really think you have a great truck for the switch-n-go. The brakes and maneuverability are great. The power is ok... I feel like my cummins and duramax have more pulling power than the frr, but it does the job. I guess the trick is keeping the turbo spooled while going up hills.
  8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Nice truck. Propane will increase egt's though so you should warn your worker to get a guage.
  9. ConstSvcs

10. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

nice setup. would you mind sharing what the switch and go cost (shipping too)? are you doing the install "in house" or a local truck shop? i'd also like to see some pics throughout the process and/or once you're done. very cool little truck...i like it! thanks, good luck with it.