1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

chassis vs lithium grease

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rcs, May 22, 2000.

1. rcs

rcs LawnSite Member

The maintenance recommendations on my ztr (Scag) call for "chassis grease" for all grease fittings except the pto spindle and the mower deck spindles which require MP white lithium grease. What is the difference in greases? I stopped by a local auto parts store and they said their general purpose lithium grease would work for the spindles but it ain't white! Will just a general chassis for everything?
  2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I use EP grease for everything. This is a different classification by the National Lubrication Society or someone like that. EP stands for extreme pressure grease and was recommended by Dixie Chopper for use in the spindles. Carquest sells tubes of Valvoline EP grease for about $1.30. EP grease is hard to find most people just sell regular grease. I don't know if it helps but since its the same price I use it.
  3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

We use lithium grease for everything.It sticks a lot better,and lasts longer.<p>Karl<br>
  4. Alan

Alan Member

I run EP synthetic grease in everything.
  5. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

You will be safe using Pennszoil Rewd whell bearing grease for all apps,