Cheap 21" mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndyL, Apr 21, 2002.

1. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Hey folks,

Need some help here, I'm stuck between a rock and a bunch of screaming customers! My John Deere dealer dropped the ball on me, the 6 mowers I ordered almost 8 weeks ago, still haven't arrived. Snows now finally gone... And I'm without any mowers.

Apparently they're on the other side of the continent due to shipping error (yippee). And are on the way, but its still going to be a week before they arrive. Barring any further screw ups. I spent all afternoon calling around to dealers within a 2 day truck ride, but none had the mowers I want. Tried to get the dealer to have the truck stop at an airport and put them on a plane, that didn't go over well...

So here's my question, I'm pondering heading over to walmart/canadian tire/sears and seeing what they have to offer. I figure if I buy 2-4 mowers, then I can keep the customers from screaming too much, and then I'll have some backup mowers for the rest of the season.

So, does anyone know if any of the store brands can do a half way decent job of cutting grass? I was looking at the Lawn Boys, I at least am familiar with them, although this whole 4 stroke LB seems somehow wrong :) But the price is a tad high for a residential piece of equipment thats probably going to spend its life in storage until it siezes up and gets tossed...

2. Lawn boy , toro and honda there are no others in the 21 inch field as far as I am concern.
  3. laynlow

laynlow LawnSite Member

The Scotts are made by JD now, but I sure would hate to throw money away. Locally here, a Honda Harmony II push only can be had for $299. Maby something similar would tide you over
  4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Can't you rent a mower? Why 21" mowers?
  5. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Renting is an option, tho the quality of the rental mowers from the rental center are pretty sketchy (most are those cheap 79.99 specials) The dealers offered me the use of a 42" demo... I don't need anything that big. I have 2 properties I could use that on (man gates just wont fit big mowers, neither do stairs!) I'm used to doing 85% of my mowing on 21" mowers. Thats the way I was taught, if its under 10k sq ft push it.

Over the years I've gained a LOT of customers using that philosophy, it seems to work. Sometimes big mowers on small properties just doesn't look as good as small mowers.

Not to mention, this being my first season out on my own, $$$'s are starting to become tight, buying a nice new rider / wb isn't in the cards. (Would have to be NEW, I live 3.5hours from the nearest dealer of anything but john deere, and I wouldn't buy a JD riding mower)

6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

If you're just going to use these mowers until the new ones come in, why not by used ones? I'm sure you could find something in your local paper that would do the job for now. No sense buying brand new mowers for only a weeks wait on 6 new ones.
  7. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

21" mtd, light weight and disposable
  8. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Ok, so after some morning shopping trips (not too many places in town to visit, makes it easy and more headache inducing)

I can get right now: That are in the price range I can afford and seem to have reasonable bagging options

LawnBoy (residential) 21" 5hp 4cycle Tecumseh (little more than I want to spend tho)
    YardWorks 3in1 6.25hp Tecumseh Formula
    Murray/MTD 21" 4.0hp
    Murray/MTD 20" 5.5hp
    Most of the craftsman mowers seemed reasonable too...

Also found some snappers, but they're a bit too expensive...

Suggestions? Those Murray/MTD ones looked pretty flimsy But they were the cheapest! Anyone have experience as to the cut quality they offer?

Can't wait for the JA60s to arrive!

BTW i'm in a small town, I've looked through the paper, no mowers for sale... No used landscape equipment stores... Only 3 major 'department stores' Makes it tough to get equipment. Part of the decision on the John Deeres was the fact that there is a dealer in town (although he doesn't carry anything in stock for anything Smaller than a Bobcat)

9. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

You should be returning the favor, drop the ball on the dealer and get 21" demos from him. He must have some kind of 21" in stock.

10. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Scott, This is heavy industry town... Not even a farm town...

He has some Nice big bobcats in stock... He's got a demo 42" rider with 66 hours on it, but I have little/no use for it... Lots of backhoes... Rock buggies (dump truck on HUGE tires, w/ pivot in the middle for steering) And there's a larger farm tractor :)

Big stock eh? The dealers used to equipment purchases that cost 100s of thousands of dollars, not a few thousand... He actually asked "whats a JA60", I found that amusing!